Web Site Help!

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay... I am a part timer photographer BUT, I am a serious about my part time business. So, I have commissioned a website to be built and my web guru set it up (and hid the site from the general public) and is waiting for my final approval.

I am not going to make major changes to this site unless it really bugs me. I value your opinions, so I would ask what minor changes (if any) would you have him do.

What to you think?

http://www.davidpolston.com/flash.html

Two things, id kill the music for two reasons, one its a style of music that you either love or hate imo (i like it but it is kind of repetative.) If someone didnt like the music it could turn them off to you or they could be looking it up at work or something and all of the sudden music starts playing, that could end in trouble, secondly, in the weddings section on the button on the bottom, in additional pricing there are some spelling errors. It says in case you need more that what i sncluded in of the packages. But other then that i really really like the website. Good design and layout.

Just noticed this, not sure if its an error or not. The 11x14 mounted is $150 then for a 16x20 mounted its $2350 after you click the additional info for wedding stuff.

Thanks.

BTW, the music thing has a mute button. I do see your point though.

One last thing lol, sorry but i just remembered, if you dont want to turn off the music maybe at least put a play/stop button in so the user can turn it off at his or her own discretion. never mind didn't see the mute

I have to ask though, is that pricing an error or is it really that big of a jump? are the materials that much more? Or because its kind of a special size? Just for curiosities sake.

That is a typo... I don't think I'm that good, but heck, if you want to pay that price... I'll sell it that way.

=o)

From a design standpoint, I love it. You might want to consider creating some text and maybe a couple of additional pages of html if you are concerned about search engines, because all the content is embedded in the flash.

The first thing I noticed when the site loaded was the large picture. Personally, I don't care for it. Maybe something different, like a serene landscape would make it more appealing. The second thing I noticed was the music. Music on some sites is nice, but on most...I don't really care for it. If you set the default music to off, and then had a button to turn the music on, then I think it would be more appealing. Also, change the title of the page. All it says in my browser is "flash."

The bottom font is cool, but a little too stretched up and down. Make it a little easier to see, and it would be more appealing. Have some text on the home page telling the website's purpose. If somebody's looking for a photographer and the first thing they see on your website is "affordable event photography," they're likely to stay and check it out. Likewise, if all they see on the front page is the shot of the face/hands, they're likely to not cruise around looking for info to see if the site is a event photographer. I do realize that there is the words "Photo Portfolio" along the top, but frankly it took me a while to see that. The cityscape is a nice shot along the top.

When on the pages with the pictures, make the top cityscape a little smaller so that the website viewer can see more of the picture in the gallery. The slider bar along the right hand side of the page used for navigating around the pictures is a little too touchy. I think that having your galleries a little bigger would make it more inviting. For instance on my (primitive) website/photo gallery, I have it designed where you can view the thumbnails and also click on them to view them bigger. If you allowed the website viewer to click on your images, I think it would be easier to look at the quality of the images. Quality not meaning resolution, rather the composition.

One more thing that you could do to keep people at your website is to put some text on the loading screen. If you put something like "David Polsten, event photographer" (or whatever), people (especially with slow internet) would wait and check the site out. Maybe a few of your best images on the loading screen would make it more appealing.

Overall, I love that site...it's amazing. I really like the buttons along the right side of the page, that's something different. Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost you to design that? Smashing website, I wish I could do something like that.

Im viewing it at 1280 X 1024 and there was lots of wasted space.

A couple of things...

The site that says "flash"... it a default thing. As I mentioned in the first post, this is a hidden site until the bugs get worked out. The actual website is www.davidpolston.com . I gave you all the link simply for c&c.

The site is actually a template I bought for 55.00 from a place called http://www.flashtemplatestore.com but to my downfall, I don't have the time to learn flash (nor do I really care at this point) so my guru used a combo, flash and his own "magic" to build the site. and I'm into him around 700.00.

I believe that when this is launched, it will center up in the screen and eliminate the wasted space.

I vote to get rid of the music. I browse onto sites sometimes, and its very disrupting to be at work and have music blaring. I can stop it, but sometimes I will leave sites without even looking for a controller, just to get away from the music. Most of the time I'm listening to my own music, and music on site is just conflicting.

Also, I think that the header could be a stronger image. It's very busy, and personally I don't think its the best representation to sum up your work. Also, your name is almost completely lost in the header. I would turn the header into a very simple image or just use black/grey/white tones for a header and your name. It's very important when your building an identity for yourself to have your name or concept readily apparent.

I really like the main image on your homepage, and think thats a very strong focus point. I wouldn't try and compete or take away from that with the header. Also, I like the navigation buttons on the right. Those are well done in my opinion.

I say keep the music. They can jam out if they want to or turn it off if they chose.
I've had sites both ways, and my old site clients love the new site with the music. (They still come back and check us out from time to time).

I love the opening page. One thought is to make your menu images sepia or color. I love your avatar/main photo, and I'd love it to stand out more.

Two concerns: The site shows very small. Try to make the overall site show larger.
On: About me or Bio. (Can't remember which now). Do not cover your face in this one. This is where you need to establish trust with your client. A person covering there face does not help a potential client part with their cash. :)
Otherwise, I think ya done good!

If I load a site, and it plays music at me, I leave that site and do not return. 90% of the time I've got music playing when I 'm on the net, so a site that plays music automatically creates an annoying noise. There is no reason for a site to play music at all IMO if it's not a site for a musician, or someone selling music.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back