Website builder for photographers?

I've gone through various changes in how I share and display my images, you can read about it here.

In the end, for me, I chose Zenfolio for reasons described in the link above. If I were after more business I would change my blog (links in sig below) to match the design of my Zenfolio (or vice versa). The blog would then be less about sharing tips and more about promoting my work and sharing stories about my latest assignment.

Zenfolio is flexible enough to match some blog desgins, and blogs very flexible to match Zenfolio.

In the end, I decided the thing I like about Zenfolio is the professional look and layouts, ability to customize the appearance. Also, they back up their servers. When you host yourself, I am not sure what you need to do for backup, or if it's extra. I also like the fact that they handle all the security updates. In a server installed gallery that you run yourself you are responsible to keep adding any neccessary security patches. I don't know how often that is going to be a real threat if you don't, but I decided that I would let Zenfolio handle that for me, and I decided they could do everything else better than I could. But, that's just me, I know that your own hosted domain and coding you can control and personalize, and if you don't mind maintaining it, for many, it's the way to go.

I use Squarespace and find it to be a very versatile web builder. It is relatively inexpensive. It is highly customizable and can probably do what most people want from a web site. It accepts HTML, CSS and flash files. There is a learning curve to it, but it is pretty amazing what people can do with it.

I would avoid the low-end photography web building sites. The ones I have checked out like ifp3 and Photium look tacky and have the look and feel of crappy websites from 12 years ago. I'm not an expert, but the real nice photography web building sites that are incredibly easy to use tend to be on the pricey side. Ones I looked at were well over 100+ a month USD.

I use bludomain, see my signature for site as well as blog, and I really enjoy it. Its VERY easy to setup a decent looking webpage and updating it is a snap. I did absolutely no coding and it costs me around 100us a year for everything. Their customer support has been good to me and I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to hand code stuff.

-Dave

If you have lightroom, you can get a plugin called LRB Portfolio Pro. I cannot remember the exact price, but it is not a lot, something like 15 US $.

It only creates the portfolio, you will need to have your own website to host it.

I have not tried it with LR3 yet, but will soon. It definitely works with LR2.

Squarespace, also mentioned by some is pretty user friendly and dependable, good site.

I havent used it in years but back then it wasnt to expensive and fairly easy to use but try homestead.com it used to have some really great templates and very easy self customization.

I, too use Zenfolio like myfotoguy and recommend it as well. My Zenfolio site is ocfamilyphoto.zenfolio.com if you want to check it out.

I have been using Photocrati: photocrati.com
It's only $79 which you pay once and they have great support through their forum. It includes:
Website + galleries + blog.
Simple, elegant design. Easy to set up.
Flexible: 15 built-in styles, customize everything.
Awesome SEO and social media so you'll be found!
Based on WordPress, the world's fastest growing web platform.

Here is my site if you want to see one in action and they have some great examples on their website: tammybphotography.com.au
This is the first website I have built and I have been really happy with how easy it's been. It still needs a lot of work but I'm getting there!

You need to have your own web host. They recommend Bluehost but I have a different one in Australia. It was so easy to load everything on and everything can be uploaded and changed from the wordpress dashboard so you don't need to know any code and you don't really even need to access your ftp files unless you want to do some extra tweaking.

You can try it for free for 30 days so if you don't like it you have nothing to lose.

Good luck :)

I use Coppermine. I found it easy to set up and have few templates.
Give try to jalbum for start.

Most reactions

Back