Wedding Photographers Unite: NOT ANOTHER NOOBIE/Wedding Post

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No, I'm not a noobie whose taken on the task of shooting a wedding less than a week from today! I've been doing weddings for a while, and I love them, they are so much fun to me.

I'm interested to know what gear other wedding photographers are taking to weddings..

I tend to just bring camera bodies, couple of necessary lens' (depending on the location) and my flash (and slave).. oh and a tripod (not used much though) i'm interested to see what others bring though...

Also, i thought it would be kinda neat to post your favorite all time wedding photo that you've taken (just 1) maybe we can glean pose ideas from each other.

Heres Mine:
20081231-b114swnjcmwp9rip11d9576m4w.jpg

Finally Chris,

Maybe a wedding thread where people arent ragging on others. Although I don't shoot weddings, I would love to see some pics from the "pros".

Finally Chris,

Maybe a wedding thread where people arent ragging on others. Although I don't shoot weddings, I would love to see some pics from the "pros".

yea, i get pretty tried of the wedding newbie threads and the arguing (even though I contribute to the arguing).. so I thought i'd start a happy wedding thread..

I especially look forward to hearing from bigmike, because I've seen his wedding shots, and that man knows what he's doing at a wedding (not to say others don't, i just think he does a great job)

yea, i get pretty tried of the wedding newbie threads and the arguing (even though I contribute to the arguing).. so I thought i'd start a happy wedding thread..

I especially look forward to hearing from bigmike, because I've seen his wedding shots, and that man knows what he's doing at a wedding (not to say others don't, i just think he does a great job)

Just looking at your gear. Are those the lenses you use for weddings? Just curious.

I'm interested to know what gear other wedding photographers are taking to weddings..
Besides the obvious camera bodies and primary lenses (17-50, 70-200 & 10-22) & flashes...I usually have a 35-105mm with diopter (macro) filters. I hope to replace this with the 60mm macro lens. I will also bring a fast prime, either the 50mm F1.8 or 30mm F1.4...or both.
I usually have a light meter in my bag but rarely use it during a wedding. Plenty of memory cards and batteries etc. The usual stuff.

I have a tiny tripod in my camera bag but I'll usually have my big one in the car...don't use it much though.

I also make sure to have at least one (rain) umbrella in one of my bags. I prefer to have several umbrellas, I often get those cheap compact ones because I sometimes don't get them back. More than once, I've been the hero because I had a couple umbrellas with me.
I also carry an 'emergency repair kit'. A small sewing kit and some safety & bobby pins. A photographer I often work with, carries things like hair spray, powder & make up etc.

I always have my 'pharmacey'. A selection of common things from the drug store. Tylenol, Advil, Imodium (this can be a life saver), fast acting allergy pills, non-drowsy cold tablets etc.

I also have water bottles and some sort of easy snack food like granola bars or fruit. I like to have a small cooler in the car to keep the water & food cold but I'll also carry some in with me.

Depending on the wedding...I may also bring one or more of my studio lights, along with the other gear like stands etc. It's a toss up because I also use flash units on stands (ala strobist) but if time and the location allows, a studio light can be a better option.

We usually have a step ladder along with us. Sometimes we drag it around with us for the formal...sometimes not.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that. There are a fair number of wedding photographers around here with more talent than me and many with more experience...so lets hope they chime in as well.

Just looking at your gear. Are those the lenses you use for weddings? Just curious.

that and an 18-105 which until now I always borrowed from a friend, but i just ordered one for myself.. nice clean lens, and sometimes I snag the 18-70 as well.

i dont use the 70-300 very often, but it came in handy in a wedding this past summer... they were married by a river, the river had a big walk way that they went out on, and the smaller lens couldnt really get in there enough, so I broke it out and got some pics with it.

Last edited:
that and an 18-105 which until now I always borrowed from a friend, but i just ordered one for myself.. nice clean lens, and sometimes I snag the 18-70 as well.

i dont use the 70-300 very often, but it came in handy in a wedding this past summer... they were married by a river, the river had a big walk way that they went out on, and the smaller lens couldnt really get in there enough, so I broke it out and got some pics with it.

That's good to know. I always thought that to shoot a wedding, you needed fast lenses. Is that not necessarily the case when using a flash?

That's good to know. I always thought that to shoot a wedding, you needed fast lenses. Is that not necessarily the case when using a flash?

i've never had a problem with the glass i use... obviously i would like to get faster glass, but its sometimes hard to convince the wife that i need more lens' even though the agreement when I started photography was that i could use the money i make at gigs to go back into gear...

big mike, do you put your flash on your camera, or do you run some type of triggering system and move the flash around?
Either way...and sometimes both.

For 'documentation' type parts of the wedding (the ceremony etc) I will usually have the flash on the camera because don't have time or opportunity to set up light. For formals, we will usually have a flash on a stand. For the reception, I've been doing both...having an off-camera flash set up somewhere but also using a 2nd flash on-camera as well.

Of course you don't need fast lenses when shooting a wedding...but it really does help a lot. It becomes less important when using flash but I'd still say that it's fairly important.

Fast lenses give you a brighter viewfinder and give the camera more light for auto focusing. This could mean the difference for getting that quick shot. Many cameras have extra AF functions with F2.8 (or faster) lenses.
Of course, there is the ability to get faster shutter speeds with large apertures...which can make for sharper images. Sure, you can freeze motion with flash, but if you want to mix ambient light with flash, then wide apertures are probably necessary.
Fast lenses also give you the ability to get a shallow DOF...if that's your style. Check out the latest post from Peanuts and see what she does with shallow DOF....it's great stuff.

This thread need not be a discussion about fast vs slow lenses...but if the question is 'What gear do I bring to a wedding?' the answer is Fast Glass.

Yay! Wedding photogs unite!

So as for gear, here is my list.

5DMII (yay)
1DsMII
24-70mm (this is my go to lens for getting ready, formals, and if I don't really know what is happening next)
70-200 (ceremony and reception)
45 TS
fisheye (sometimes)
100mm Macro
I am considering getting a 17-40
Quantum battery pack (love)
580EX II
420EX (not so much love going to this guy)
Emergency kit (tide to go, bobby pins, floss etc. etc. almost used at every wedding so far and the brides really appreciate it)
Reflector
Two cheap white towels (if I want the bride to sit down on something outside
Tripod
Stepping stool

I really can't choose a favourite wedding photo.. umm.. I guess I will put up the one that the brides like the best. I find it too cliche but.. meh
2500561235_1f48f1fa95.jpg

Most reactions

Back