Wedding Reception | Any Last Minute Advice?

Look behind you. Sometimes that's where the good photo is.
Photograph everyone giving a speech. The mother/father of the bride/groom will give you low marks if you miss their speech. Try to photograph everyone. If someone is missing it will probably be noticed.

Shooting events takes practice which I would have recommended rather than going into this cold. I probably would have suggested finding events where attendees are allowed to bring cameras and get some experience framing shots, taking backgrounds into consideration, learning to watch for people to move in and out of the frame, etc.

When you say you're taking lots of media cards that makes me wonder if you expect to pray 'n spray which if you do is less than good technique but I suppose will get you something usable. You talked about feeling like you could get pictures the b&g would like but may not be what you're pleased with doesn't seem professional to give anyone (particularly paying clients) anything you consider to be only adequate and not necessarily your best.

It would have been better I think having practiced and knowing exactly what to do and would probably be beneficial to find a photographer you can assist or that will let you shadow them to get some experience.

The client was really insistent. And hell, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

You Guys and Gals forgot to tell him to TAKE OFF his Lee System GND filters !!

I'm not sure if someone else mentioned this.

Ask the bride for a list of people she especially wants a good photo of. You've got the obvious immediate family members, of course, but maybe Cousin Jack is about to deploy, or Great Aunt Sue is making what could be the last trip from her far away hometown. Then, on the day, ask the maid of honour or the bride's brother or someone important (not the bride, she's too distracted) to point those people out to you. MAKE sure you get a couple nice candid snaps of those people during the night. The mothers of the bride and groom, especially, will appreciate it.

I'm shooting a reception this weekend. Gear in hand is a D800 gripped (backup is a D5100..), Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII, Nikon 50mm 1.8G, Nikon 85mm 1.8G, SB600x2, SB700, Pocketwizards, umbrella's, an assistant, and a bunch of other little things. I'll have the assistant following me with off camera flash for some, as the ceiling is vaulted (close to 25' in the middle). Two flashes (one on either side) of the dance floor for the evening. Lots of memory cards to fill. A list of what needs to be shot. Confidence (for the most part).

Do you have any last minute advice?

Cheers!
Jake

Disclaimer: Yes, this is my first real event. Yes it's a paid gig. Yes that may be foolish of me, but I'm jumping in headfirst, and it'll likely be alright. I KNOW I can get images the bride is pleased with, but whether or not I get material I myself am pleased with is another question. It's just the reception (the ceremony is at another location another day), so it's not a FULL wedding. PHEW!

M80's. Always good to have on hand should you need a distraction for a quick getaway. They can also lead to some great action shots if used wisely. Remember, timing is key.

Lol

I'm shooting a reception this weekend. Gear in hand is a D800 gripped (backup is a D5100..), Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII, Nikon 50mm 1.8G, Nikon 85mm 1.8G, SB600x2, SB700, Pocketwizards, umbrella's, an assistant, and a bunch of other little things. I'll have the assistant following me with off camera flash for some, as the ceiling is vaulted (close to 25' in the middle). Two flashes (one on either side) of the dance floor for the evening. Lots of memory cards to fill. A list of what needs to be shot. Confidence (for the most part).

Do you have any last minute advice?

Cheers!
Jake

Disclaimer: Yes, this is my first real event. Yes it's a paid gig. Yes that may be foolish of me, but I'm jumping in headfirst, and it'll likely be alright. I KNOW I can get images the bride is pleased with, but whether or not I get material I myself am pleased with is another question. It's just the reception (the ceremony is at another location another day), so it's not a FULL wedding. PHEW!

M80's. Always good to have on hand should you need a distraction for a quick getaway. They can also lead to some great action shots if used wisely. Remember, timing is key.

Lol

Seems a bit aggressive for my style...

And also, don't (under any circumstances)...no matter what happens ever, and I mean ever even if it kills you, forget to...

Hold on a sec, BRB...

Today is the day!

Most reactions

Back