Well, I did it...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Stamp, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Stamp

Stamp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I finally pulled the trigger and bought a lens that is more than 2 times the price of the camera it's going on. Its a Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG II with the HSM and the teleconverter that keeps it at 2.8 and makes the lens go to 480mm. Should be here by Thursday for a baptism in Texas on Saturday.... can't wait!!! :drool:

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think unless there's a huge breakthrough in technology you're a little misinformed.

Sweet lens though, I just got mine about a week ago.

3. Stamp

Stamp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How so?

That's what the guy told me on the phone when I ordered it, so I'm going by that.. if it doesn't work the way he says, I can send it back within 30 days (free trial period)

4. manicmike

manicmike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You lose a stop or two of light depending on which teleconverter you get. No tc will let you stay at 2.8.

5. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds like you may have gotten the 1.5x teleconverter so your f/2.8 is essentially an f/4 (I believe) with that mounted... still not bad though.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A teleconverter steals light.

With some teleconverters (canon for example), the camera displays the effective aperture when the TC is attached.
    However, with some other TCs, the camera still shows the max aperture of the lens (if set) but the loss of light shows up on the meter (you would need to lengthen the shutter speed or raise the ISO).

So while the camera may read F2.8, the camera is getting less light that it would without the TC.

7. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lol, maybe someone should have done more research before dropping that much dough

8. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

But still a great lens no matter what. Congrats~ on your new purchase!! :)

9. RalphP13

RalphP13 TPF Noob!

It used to be that talking to the people selling the equipment was considered doing enough research. Unfortunately, nowadays salespeople don't even know what they're selling. It has unfortunately become very much "carpe diem".

I have a 70-200 mm 2.8 lens, and love it. I will also sometimes use a 2X teleconverter with it, and it works fine (given enough light).

Ralph

10. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot a 50-135mm as it gets alot more use then my old 70-200mm did. 50mm is wide enough for a walk around lens where 70mm is just to much. For 90% of what i shoot with it 135mm is long enough but im thinking about picking up a teleconverter for the times when im shooting sports like soccer.

11. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're going to love the lens and the TC, but the other folks are correct. The Sigma 1.4X TC makes you lose 1 stop (and the 2X makes you lose 2 stops). Neither of the 2 Sigma TC's will bring your lens to 480mm (they will go to 280 and 400 respectively).

12. Stamp

Stamp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well JimmyO, thanks for that helpful post, but when they offer a Sigma EX Teleconverter for $160 bucks after a rebate that they take off and a price reduction with buying that lens, it's a no brainer.... Regardless if you lose a stop of light or not.

Everyone else, thanks for the input... I did quite a bit of research on the Sigma and the Tamron, and opted for the silent and faster AF motor that the Sigma provides... can't wait to get some shots through it.