Well, I did it...

Stamp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally pulled the trigger and bought a lens that is more than 2 times the price of the camera it's going on. Its a Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG II with the HSM and the teleconverter that keeps it at 2.8 and makes the lens go to 480mm. Should be here by Thursday for a baptism in Texas on Saturday.... can't wait!!! :drool:

I think unless there's a huge breakthrough in technology you're a little misinformed.

Sweet lens though, I just got mine about a week ago.

I think unless there's a huge breakthrough in technology you're a little misinformed.

How so?

That's what the guy told me on the phone when I ordered it, so I'm going by that.. if it doesn't work the way he says, I can send it back within 30 days (free trial period)

How so?

That's what the guy told me on the phone when I ordered it, so I'm going by that.. if it doesn't work the way he says, I can send it back within 30 days (free trial period)

You lose a stop or two of light depending on which teleconverter you get. No tc will let you stay at 2.8.

Sounds like you may have gotten the 1.5x teleconverter so your f/2.8 is essentially an f/4 (I believe) with that mounted... still not bad though.

A teleconverter steals light.

With some teleconverters (canon for example), the camera displays the effective aperture when the TC is attached.
However, with some other TCs, the camera still shows the max aperture of the lens (if set) but the loss of light shows up on the meter (you would need to lengthen the shutter speed or raise the ISO).

So while the camera may read F2.8, the camera is getting less light that it would without the TC.

Lol, maybe someone should have done more research before dropping that much dough

But still a great lens no matter what. Congrats~ on your new purchase!! :)

Lol, maybe someone should have done more research before dropping that much dough

It used to be that talking to the people selling the equipment was considered doing enough research. Unfortunately, nowadays salespeople don't even know what they're selling. It has unfortunately become very much "carpe diem".

I have a 70-200 mm 2.8 lens, and love it. I will also sometimes use a 2X teleconverter with it, and it works fine (given enough light).

Ralph

I shoot a 50-135mm as it gets alot more use then my old 70-200mm did. 50mm is wide enough for a walk around lens where 70mm is just to much. For 90% of what i shoot with it 135mm is long enough but im thinking about picking up a teleconverter for the times when im shooting sports like soccer.

You're going to love the lens and the TC, but the other folks are correct. The Sigma 1.4X TC makes you lose 1 stop (and the 2X makes you lose 2 stops). Neither of the 2 Sigma TC's will bring your lens to 480mm (they will go to 280 and 400 respectively).

Well JimmyO, thanks for that helpful post, but when they offer a Sigma EX Teleconverter for $160 bucks after a rebate that they take off and a price reduction with buying that lens, it's a no brainer.... Regardless if you lose a stop of light or not.

Everyone else, thanks for the input... I did quite a bit of research on the Sigma and the Tamron, and opted for the silent and faster AF motor that the Sigma provides... can't wait to get some shots through it.

I wouldn't use a 2X with a zoom, i would change it for the 1.4X, if you bought the 2X minimum F stop will be F5.6

I'll slip in here and agree with Gary - I don't have a sigma 70-200mm f2.8, but I have the canon and on that whilst I have the option of using a 1.4TC or a 2*TC I use a 1.4 almost all the time whilst the 2*TC tends to come out just for fun. Sadly the light loss is as others say - a physical effect so even if the lens does not report it you won't get that light back - a good shutter speed, bright conditions and an aperture of f8 and you can get some decent shots out of it.
For the internet at 1000pixels on the longest side its good but the internet is very forgiving in image quality.

The 1.4 on the other hand gives good image quality and only loses one stop of light - on a good shot you can't even really tell that the TC was attached (by image quality) so its a shorter, but far more usable option.

And this isn't a sigma bash either - I have the TCs in sigma and canon make and honestly on crop sensor I hadly notice a difference between the 1.4s and the 2*TCs most of the difference only shows when they are compared side by side (and that is that the sigma is a 1.95ish TC whilst the canon a 2TC so the sigma gives a tiny bit less reach - nothing in the field would show this up though)

This gives an idea of the canon and a 2*TC at f8.
little birds photos test - a set on Flickr
note that whilst the light was dim at that time I did use flash to boost it up.
edit - I really should repeat that test oneday 1/100sec shutter speed can't be helping the lenses case even with dominant flash freezing the frame.

edit 2 just added otters to the test - its now 1000times better (the test that is not the TC combo ;) )

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back