Well...this failed...but is there something there?

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My idea is to capture one photo that shows the moon track across the sky.

Last night I attempted and failed at doing this, but I want to know if you think there is an idea in there somewhere that can be a cool photo AND find out what you would do settings wise.

So rather than getting a smooth "star trail" photo where I would have a photo taken more frequent, I set the camera up to take 1 photo every 2 minutes.

I was still expecting the moon to look like one big streak and figured I could space out the photos so I didnt have as many images to work with.

The other issue I ran in to is my lens fogged up half way through. The moon streak would have been longer, but I had to take out all the images starting from when my lens fogged up of course. So is there any way to prevent my lens from fogging up?

Do you think I should try again with the same 2 minute gap? Or how should I adjust things?

I call it...Moon Trail Fail -
Moon-fail-Final.jpg

As you can see, I had to take 1 photo out because for some reason it was very bright and was throwing off a weird glare.

Ok, well I am doing a 5 minute interval tonight.

5 or even more depending on the result you want. Maybe even underexpose a little.

I know it's best to set everything up for a while before you start shooting to let the gear get acclimated to the temperature change - I've hear 15-20 minutes, depending on the difference between inside & outside temps.

Quick tip on the fogging lense, rubber band a hand warmer to the lense.

Make a series exposed for the moon.

Composites of Moon photos made as the 9/27/15 total lunar eclipse:

Eclipse starting, Moon in Earth's penumbra shadow
FirstStage9-27-15Eclipse.jpg

The moon exposed to show the eclipsed part of the Blood Moon
FirstStage9-27-15Eclipse4dark.jpg

Eclipse late stages - 2 exposed for eclipsed part of the Moon, 2 exposed for the lit part of the Moon
Waning9-27-15Eclipse.jpg

The eclipse ending
Waning9-27-19B.jpg

Keith - how long was the interval there?

I have seen that a lot, I am going for something unique.

Here is the result from the 5 minute interval.

15590930_10209513423805014_4339836857629958033_o.jpg

The effect of the 5 minute interval is much better. I think the clouds worked quite nicely too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back