Went Cheap - bought Canon 50mm F1.8

daarksun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Money's tight and this little lens has been on my radar since I got the camera. Been slow to get any lenses simply because my 28-135 has been really incredible with quality throughout the range of the lens. The Fitty will give me a nice cheap portrait lens to use.

Purchased the Canon 50 F1.8 II with lens w/lens hood & UV protection filter,

Won't be able to use until after the b'day at the end of February, but I know it's mine then.

Next up... the cheap 18-55 IS kit lens.

I have the same lens, for Nikon and I wondered why I didn't buy it when I bought my camera. I love it. Congrats!

You will not regret it! I at first had that one then scrounged up enough money for the 1.4, i love the 1.4 due to the full time focusing, but the 1.8 was just as good. The bokeh effect was my favorite with both lenses.

It may be cheap, but you can't go wrong adding it to your collection.

you are going to love it. i have one as well

Thanks everyone. Got to mount it last night and shoot a couple in the house. Hopefully will get outside to go crazy with it. LOL

Now that you've had your purchase decision ratified.....some things you maybe didn't want to hear.

The UV filter for 'protection' was a waste of money, since the hood also protects the front of the lens. Plus cheap UV filters reduces image quality - by promoting unwanted lens flare, reducing image contrast, softening focus because the glass is not optically clear, often not of uniform thickness inducing unwanted distortion, and often in a poorly made mount that leaves the filter at a slight angle to the the main lens adding even more distortion.

The lens only has 5 aperture blades giving it a really jittery, jumbled, unpleasant bokeh quality.

The lens also has fairly poor build quality, which is one of the main reasons it's inexpensive. If you spend some time searching on photography forums, you'll discover the lens often breaks in half if dropped.

hmmmm....why don't you post a few pics, I'd like to see how the lens looks/reacts :)
Congrats on your purchase, sounds exciting!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back