"what about the rest of the pictures"?

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
Would like to hear what the rest of you tell wedding clients when they ask you this.

Contract says 200 edited pictures. They get 220. They love them. But a week later they ask "we saw you taking hundreds of pictures. What about all the rest"?

I explain during the consultation that I will be taking multiples of each event to ensure they get a "good" picture of each thing that is going on. No blinking, no mouth open...etc. They will then get the best picture of everything I took pics of.

Now they ask for the rest. "We know you dont think they are the best, but we may find some we really like."

What do you do?

I was thinking of telling them they can get the rest o a disc for $200. That will give me some extra cash, but then I have unedited pictures out there, and I dont want them telling people I took them, as, to me, they are the outtakes. They already have more than what the contract states. Oh, I also gave them a free DVD of the pics set to music. This was not in the contract but I did it anyway.

What should I say to them to tell them no, but still sound nice?

Thanks,
Doug Raflik

What should I say to them to tell them no, but still sound nice?
Tell them that you deleted the non-keepers.

With some clients, it can be a slippery slope...first you give them the 'out takes'...then they want you to touch those up like you did with the first set...then they want you to combine elements of one photo into another etc.

It's better to just keep that option closed.

There are, of course, exceptions. For example, you may have got a shot of someone who doesn't appear in any of the keepers...perhaps an old relative who has passed away.

One option that I've heard about (maybe a bit of a joke)...but you could find a shot where the bride looks terrible...show her that one and say that all the out takes look like that. :lol:

It's written into my contract, so I usually discuss it with the couple before the contract is signed. I've only been asked to see "the rest of the photos" once out of hundreds of weddings. Here's what it says on my Wedding FAQ

http://mattneedham.com/faq.html#every_single

that's like asking a builder for the sawdust and off cuts from the lumber that built your house...

That's a good analogy...I'll have to remember that one.

Communication is the key. Shoot down their assumptions early on, and they barely blink. Wait until after the contract, payment, and wedding, and they get bent out of shape. ;)

The way I deal with it is I have a section in my contract that call out photographic selection.
It states that I will sort the images and only present the ones I deem acceptable. It does give the option for the client to to come in and select the images in the first 7 days, but given that theyare usually on the honeymoon it never happens.

It's written into my contract and I do NOT promise a certain number of images.

[FONT=&quot]18. CREATIVE LICENSE[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Images are edited at Captured Visions Photography’s discretion and delivered albums, proof book(s), dvd’s, and/or prints may not include all images shot. Captured Visions Photography reserves the right to edit and release only those deemed creditable as professional in quality and within Captured Visions Photography’s artistic standards.[/FONT]

Outstanding everyone. I just told the client they really were not missing anything, and that any pictures they didnt get are nothing more than a double of what they did get. They were fine with this. I will take into account some of the things said here and revise my contract.

Thanks again,
Doug Raflik

Most reactions

New Topics

Back