What about this lens?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate asking opinions on such personal decisions, but that doesn't stop me from doing it anyway... lol

I'm trying to get into the SLR market for as cheaply as possible. My demands as of right now are very low, as I'm just looking for a lens that will give me quality shots. My definition of quality is hard to describe, but as long as the lens isn't really soft (?) I will probably be okay with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-AF-28-80...ryZ30070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, I want to make sure it will autofocus properly (not behind my subject or anything like that), produces a clear image, not real soft of fuzzy, and doesn't produce hideously bad barrel and pincushion at the extremes (some I'm okay with). Any help would be appreciated.

I also wanted to add that my camera now is a Panasonic Lumix FZ20, and my camera before that was a Nikon FM2. My nikon had kit lenses and I still liked its photos, just so you know kind of what my expectation level is.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Try www.photozone.de

This is a site which does lab testing of various lenses for resolution, CA, et cetera.

Gary

PS- Also remember that generally, in life and with photography in particular, you get what you pay for.

G

Try www.photozone.de

This is a site which does lab testing of various lenses for resolution, CA, et cetera.

Gary

PS- Also remember that generally, in life and with photography in particular, you get what you pay for.

G

It says its pretty good. Thank you for the link. I understand you get what you paid for. But my last camera is worth $250, so by that measure this should still be better (which is what I was looking for).

What DSLR are you looking to get? Most kit lenses offered with todays lower end dlsrs are much better than that lens

Yeah you can pickup used Nikon 18-55 kit lenses for the same price, and they'll give you a much more appropriate range than a 28-80 will.

What DSLR are you looking to get? Most kit lenses offered with todays lower end dlsrs are much better than that lens

I'm looking at a D70. The problem is no one sells them with the kit lens (usually), so you have to buy your own. If it comes with an 18-55 or the 18-70 they came with, then yeah, I'll take it, but I'm really wanting to save up for an 18-200, and I want to spend as little as possible until then.

I personally don't see a problem with the whole 28-80 bit. I know I'll lose out on the wide angles but my camera now has a minimum range of 36mm. I'm hoping there won't be that much of a difference between 36mm and 42mm. As far as range I like to take a lot of close up shots, so I really thought being able to get out to an eqivalent 120mm would be better than being able to get down to 27mm wide angle. I could be wrong, though (am I?)

Find a Nikon forum and check out their marketplace.

Most people outgrow the kit lenses quickly and then try to sell them. You should be able to find some for not much at all.

Then you will outgrow of it and try to sell it...

EDIT: I shouldn't say most people since most people are happy with the kit forever and never buy another lens.
A lot of people would be more appropriate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back