What are the benefits of gripping my d200?

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so, whats the point of an mb-d200? Is it worth the money? What does it do to make it worth it?

I find myself shooting in portrait orientation much more often and much easier, so much easier.

It gives you a bigger (maybe more comfortable) way to hold the camera.
I assume It gives you the ability to use two batteries (or AA when in a pinch).
It should give you a second shutter release button so that you don't have to hold up your arm when shooting in portrait orientation.

I'm not sure about your model, but with some Nikon bodies, adding a grip allows you to increase the burst speed.

It makes you look like a real man! :lmao:

Frankly, if you have to ask, you probably don't need it. I've been asking the same question myself for a long time and still haven't bought one. I still don't know what amazing photos I have missed because of not having one.

I have a D200 with the MB-D200 grip.

I am a vertical grip advocate. There is no downside, only positives to having a vertical grip on the camera, as far as I'm concerned.

I put a grip on all of my camera bodies that don't come with one built in.

The grip and the 2 batteries it holds:
  • adds weight making it easier to hold the camera steady.
  • adds gripping surface area making it easier to hold the camera steady in both horizontal and vertical orientations.
  • adds counter weight for heavy lenses making it easier to hold the camera steady.
  • I can shoot continuously for over 8 hours and not have to change batteries.
  • The grip has a second set of controls for use in the vertical orientation. (shutter release, 2 command dials, back-focus button, etc.)greatly improving the stability of the camera when used in the vertical orientation.
  • makes the camera look really cool.
I just bought another D300 so Thursday I will be offering my backup D200 with a MB-D200 grip for sale.

If you would be interested in a prisitine, used MB-D200 and a Nikon En-ELe battery I would be willing to sell it seperate from the camera.

I have sold other gear here on TPF and it is always in tip top shape.

I have the original box, AA battery tray, and users manual for it.

The MB-D200 does not increase the frame rate of the D200.

I too think that there are only positives. It is so much easier to hold with the grip!

when you start using heavier lenses it helps balance the camera.

ever put a 24-70 f2.8 on a d40.....yaaaaaaa it feels awkward.

when you start using heavier lenses it helps balance the camera.

ever put a 24-70 f2.8 on a d40.....yaaaaaaa it feels awkward.

I have the same lens on my T1i. I got used to it the first day. ;)

to be honest, i want it to add to my camera and make me look like a "real man" haha, and the ease of portraiture and such.

For me, its mostly battery life, but the better balance and weight also seems to help steady my 70-200 since I don't have a vr version.

For me, its mostly battery life, but the better balance and weight also seems to help steady my 70-200 since I don't have a vr version.

The first version Nikon 70-200 feels very front-heavy on lighter camera bodies like the older Fuji S2 Pro or S5 Pro (Nikon N80 parent and Nikon D200 parent bodies respectively). Most of the longer, heavier Nikkor lenses,as well as bigger,heavier lenses from Sigma and others, balance better with a heavier camera body to offset the length and weight of the heavier lenses in the 44-60 ounce and up weight class.

By the time you get into the 300/2.8 range of 7 pound lenses, the approximately 4 pound weight range of the "pro" Nikon bodies actually makes the heavier, bigger, gripped bodies balance better with heavy lenses on the front than the lighter-weight consumer-level model cameras. As with many things like shotguns, fishing rods, and hand-tools, **balance** is often more critical than total weight in terms of fatiguing the user and in how the tool handles and behaves. Adding a grip to a half-height camera body changes the ergonomics quite a bit. There's no comparison...try shooting a grip-less D40 and then a 4-pound D2 series with a heavy telephoto lens for a few hours straight...the difference will be really obvious.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back