What are your 2017 Photography Resolutions?

Here is the link that Rick50 started this idea off with. I'm not concerned with Mr. Patrick's post-processing techniques, nor with buying the $199 lesson...you can look at the portraits and determine how you'd want to do the skin retouching, but the basic lighting scenario and the wide-aperture and high sputter speed and long focal length approach is all decode-able from watching the video.

Dylan Patrick's The Cinematic Headshot | Fstoppers

Looking at getting the speedlight off camera a la Strobist, and later on, picking up a second one with stand & umbrella. Eventually thinking of a pair of monolights, but one step at a time.

Use circular polarizing filter much more, use 3 stop ND. Work in the best available light. finish and edit 4 pictures a day. that keeps me getting a little sharper with time. Want to use my years well. Celebrating my 77th year. Ed

I am catching up to you Ed. Made the three score and ten. Now my sole goal is making it another year followed by making it another year followed by .... ;)

Peddling fast to catch up with you!! I think I like your "goal" can I adopt it as well, the alternative isn't to attractive. LOL

you betcha' more the merrier...the alternative is not only unattractive it downright sucks I'd say. Haven't met a sole yet that survived it to tell the tale. :)

@Derrel when you or @Rick50 start getting into HSS, how about starting a thread for the rest of us. I've gleaned some valuable information from your posts.

I use HSS fairly often on the birds. Pretty basic and easy. Newer cameras and flashes give you the option of setting HS on either the flash or the camera. Do need to talk to one another but the Yongnuo's play nice nice with both Canon and Nikon so that is a non-issue now.

Here is the link that Rick50 started this idea off with. I'm not concerned with Mr. Patrick's post-processing techniques, nor with buying the $199 lesson...you can look at the portraits and determine how you'd want to do the skin retouching, but the basic lighting scenario and the wide-aperture and high sputter speed and long focal length approach is all decode-able from watching the video.

Dylan Patrick's The Cinematic Headshot | Fstoppers
I didn't sign up for the lesson either but have tried HSS on a Dylan type head shot using my Mannequin head. This is super easy to do. I set the aperture at 2.0 of 135mm lens and metered the background at 1/3200 sec. I used a main and a fill flash with softboxes and just enable the flash for HSS. That was all it took (well, a test shot for flash power).
32147913011_13f3052dd6_z.jpg

I didn't sign up for the lesson either but have tried HSS on a Dylan type head shot using my Mannequin head. This is super easy to do. I set the aperture at 2.0 of 135mm lens and metered the background at 1/3200 sec. I used a main and a fill flash with softboxes and just enable the flash for HSS. That was all it took (well, a test shot for flash power).

You over did it just a tad on the skin smoothing.

Put my images up for critique more often. Almost every day I tell myself I will, but then I look at them and lose my nerve. I know some of the issues that I'll get ripped apart for, but there are also non-related problems that I don't know how to fix. Ugh. I just need to be braver. *sigh*

I would like to upgrade my camera body from a Rebel T5 to either a Canon 70D Mark 2 or Canon 80D. Rebel T5 is just not cutting it for me any more with the slow auto focus and very limited auto focus points.

Wanted to join a photography forum, so I am here!! I am also wanting to do a few projects just for my own learning of photography, not because I get paid or at someone's request.

I'd like to print and sell something this year. I'd also like to sell some of my time behind the camera. Photography has been a hobby that plays a huge role in my job (I sell hair products and teach seminars about haircutting. If I put out a good image of hair it turns into product sales and ticket sales) but in 2017 I want to make (even a dollar) specifically as a "photographer" and not just as a hairdresser who benefits from dabbling with photography.

Mine is to do more dishes, laundry, and general sucking up to the wife so she will buy me a Fujifilm X-100T. I started today by empting the dishwasher and filling it without being told. I'm going to detail the inside of her car (major bonus points) tomorrow since it's going to rain all day. I think I can pull it off in two months...

Sent from my XT1254 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
I've been doing it, still no X100F.....

My resolutions for this year are 4928 x 3264 px. It's the maximum my D7000 can handle.

My photography goals for 2017...

Learn to use flash to get more predictable results. As it stands now, I use more of a trial and error process (on those rare occasions when I even use flash at all).

Participate in more photo meet-ups with my local group and with my hobbyist friends.

Print more! I'm finally going to print and hang some of my favorites.

Participate in my towns annual art walk.

My 2016 resolution was to post more photos for critique and I've tried to post at least a few each month. It really helped me, I think, in making progress with both technical skills and developing my own eye. It also got me out there shooting much more frequently than in the past.

Quoting myself because we are 4 months into 2017 and I've done nothing, nada, zilch towards any of these goals. I barely touched my camera from the end of the holiday season until last week on vacation. But spring is here and I am going to get moving!!!!!

Most reactions

Back