What are your studio lights?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Village Idiot, May 6, 2008.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm really debating on which one/s I should purchase. I've been looking around at Elinchrom's D-lite 4's, AB800's, WL X1600's, and a few other "entry level" studio strobes. If you have a set of monolights that you use, could you post what they are, their max sync speed, and what your experiences are with them? Maybe others can use this thread as a reference for their future purchases.

2. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use a set of 430 and 580 flash units with the STE-2 trigger. A cheaper way to go would be a couple of Metz 45s with an optical or radio trigger.

3. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Studio strobes. I already have what I need as far as speed lights go.

Stuff like d-lites, AB's, White Lightnings, Excaliburs, and other monolights.

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really like the Elinchrome D-lite 4's but I have some generic studio strobes (no name just a w/s rating) and my SB-800, a Metz and on D-200 camera flash to trigger them all.

Funny thing is that I rarely use more than 1 light lately (SB-800 or single studio strobe). I must be in my minimalist stage. :lol:

5. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use speedlights because I don't want to invest in a permanent studio. I'd rather have a large trunk and set up from the trunk as required. As I'm mainly a location shooter, I'm happy.

6. CanonSnob

CanonSnob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Photogenics two 500w and one 1kw. With the built in pocket wizard transceivers. Love em.

7. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Alien bees seem to be pretty popular. I know a few people that have them and love them. They are simple and indestructible. Oh, and cheap.

8. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I Use AB's 3 800's
    I love the, simple and inexpensive

9. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I have 3 x 600w/s (full power down to 1/32) with 250W modelling lights, large soft-boxes, shoot-through and reflect umbrellas. used mostly as key, side and backlights.
    Coupla 300 w/s (full power down to 1/32) for hair and kicker lights.
    Obligatory barndoors, snooks. some gels (which I sparingly use mainly for backlighting IF requested...) Wireless hotshoe trigger to 2 receivers (and the onboard slaves on the other rigged lights fire from these 2...
    All pack into 2 VERY LARGE pull along suitcases... necessary since I do most of my shoots on location...
    Oh - and the sync speed is determined by the camera... most strobes fire a burst of light in the order of 1/4000th to 1/8000th os a second (well, mine do... the sync speed of the camera is set so that the duration of exposure (when the curtains are open) captures the "flash" - this is usually much longer than the flash duration... about 1/125 or thereabouts
    Jedo

10. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Right. I asked about mono lights. I have speed lights. I don't need any more.

But that's what confuses me. I've read several reviews and tests that say that once you his over 1/125 with the d-lite 4's, that they start to have the black band, like what occurs when you surpass the x sync, enter the frame. One of the people that complained about this was using pocket wizard PII's, which I know can sync much faster than that. I use them with my speed lights.

The shooter was using a Canon, which all newer models sync at 1/200-1/250 depending on the sensor size.

11. RubyMagic

RubyMagic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I currently own one Profoto 600 w/s Head w/ umbrella, air cushioned stand, boom pole, and built in Pocket Wizard. Hoping to get another one soon.

12. Jim H

Jim H TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    4 AB800s, 32x40 SB with grid, 30x60 SB, 47" octo, mods (snoot, honeycombs, shovel scoop, gels etc) and PWIIs