What camra should I get???

venerati0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would not say I am new to Photography, but by no means a professional. I started off with a Nikon 35mm when I was young and then kinda of fell of the radar of photography until around 2 years ago when I got a Sony DSC-W70. I was really happy with it untill I droped it today with the lens out and broke something losse in the lens. Needless to say I need a new camra.

I am most likely looking for to much in one camra. The reason I liked my Sony was because, for the most part, I never know when I am going to take a picture and the Small Fast Sony was easy to grab and take a shoot before it was lost, pocket it and get on with my life.

As of now I take most my pictures in my car while moving, out the windows and sunroofs (I like natuare shots). And the other good portion at clubs, in low lighting, taking crowd shots. I ocasulaly get in my car and just drive till I find things to take pictures of. Here I take time to set up the shot and try to get great photos. Though it is not as often as in the car or at the clubs, this setting up for the shot is almost more important to me over all.

So in short I want a camra that is really portable, with alot of manual settings though some auto for quick shots, and proffesional looking quality. Is this possible at all?

I know it is best to have a camra like the Sony DSC-W70 and a SLR, but I don't overly want to put that much money up front.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

How much are looking to spend? Are you or aren't you looking to get an SLR?

I am looking for something around $1,000. Of course less is better, but I don't want to skimp on quality. I would like an SLR, but not sure I want to give up my mobility and quick shooting.

I would like an SLR, but not sure I want to give up my mobility and quick shooting.

Uhm, my SLRs are those cameras which allow me quick shooting. Everything else is much slower.

And as for mobility.. try large format and you will realise what a great invention SLRs were with respect to mobility ;)

I would recommend a Nikon D40 because I have it and it is much more mobile and easier to carry around than my dad's D80. But the D80 had loads more pluses spec. wise. If you want the in between I would go with a D40x. The reason I am talking about Nikons is that is what I have experience with. Also there are D50 and D70 which they don't make any more, but are also in your price range.

Also look and Canon XTi and Pentax or Sony.

I mostly likly should have waited and done more research, but I went with the Canon Digital Rebel XTi 400D. I spent more then I really can afford right now, but got the 55mm lens that comes with it and a 55mm to 300mm lens plus a flash, not sure of model, but it retals for $299. I might regret that, because I am not a fan of flashes. I like taking pictures as you see it.

Any ways, any thoughs on my impulsive purchase. Did I make a horrible mistake or do you all think I will be happy with it over all?

Nah, you'll be fine venerati0 - that's a really good camera that should keep you happy for a couple of years.

Rebel XTi is a very good camera, Iron Flatline was correct. I assume what you have is the camera with kit lens 18-55 & you just bought a 55-200 as well. Those are very capable equipments to do a good photography. Happy shooting venerati0! :thumbup:

What camra should I get???

Oh, just have to mention this: CamRA stands for "Campaign for Real Ale" :)

no kidding...

I find it odd, that size when buying an slr is such an issue.
You either want an slr or you want something smaller in the PAS or bridge mold.
I cant see hardly any advantage in size throughout the dslr range, whatever make or model, a D40 is slightly smaller than a D80, a 350D is slightly smaller than a D70, but does it really make any difference, they're all the same damn shape, its not like one will fit in your pocket and the other one won't, they all hang round your neck like a personal life support system, the only real supersize step is the length of the lens, which you choose.
My back will be no less achey whether I carry a D200 with a 200mm 2.8 zoom or a 350D, same applys to short lenses.

*baffled*

I completly agree with you joxby, I origanaly was asking if there was the best of both worlds of a camra that I could fit in my pocket but still have the controll and clearity of an SLR.

Once I decided on an SLR, size wasn't as much a factor since no matter what you have to have a bag for any of them. It is more about the feel of the camra in your hands. If I ever pay for this and have money again I will get a Point and Shoot camra for a backup/mobil camra.

I completly agree with you joxby, I origanaly was asking if there was the best of both worlds of a camra that I could fit in my pocket but still have the controll and clearity of an SLR.

Once I decided on an SLR, size wasn't as much a factor since no matter what you have to have a bag for any of them. It is more about the feel of the camra in your hands. If I ever pay for this and have money again I will get a Point and Shoot camra for a backup/mobil camra.

Theres always a compromise if you choose a compact, there are some great compacts out there that take some really good images, but if you get really into photography sooner or later you trip over their limitations.
"Feel" is as good a way to choose as any for your first slr, a few years ago I did exactly the same, the choice was between Canon 350D and a Nikon D70, I went Nikon purely on "feel", without any pre-conditioned Nik v Can influences, (I found out later y'awl mental).
The Nikon was more expensive & smaller pixel count (which always seems to be important early days) but it felt great in my hands, controls/wotnot and I sussed the menu system instantly...so that was that.
You'll do just fine with the Canon, excellent choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back