Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
0k2z5FK.png

Here is a picture i took:

Original:
idOnSSWsPvhxr.jpg

Lightroom edit:
ibziRRB7xUfMDL.jpg

My question is: what can i do to improve upon my editing skills or lack thereof according to your perception?

I see very little difference between the two, and in fact, I like your original better.

As for editing advice, I have none at this time.

To me, this is a snapshot. You really need to isolate the subject from the background. I find myself easily focusing on the person in the background, rather than the one in focus.

Jake

I see very little difference between the two, and in fact, I like your original better.

So it is a good image editing wise? Or is there something more you would have done to it?

So it is a good image editing wise? Or is there something more you would have done to it?

I am not the one to ask about editing, but I prefer a minimalist approach, in most cases. I see that you adjusted the colors very slightly, and it looks fine to me.

I am not the one to ask about editing, but I prefer a minimalist approach, in most cases. I see that you adjusted the colors very slightly, and it looks fine to me.

That is correct. I edited just about everything ever so slightly, like: contrast, clarity, colors, lens corrections, shadows and more.

Last edited:
My question is: What steps did you do to the image, and why do you think it required those steps>

Here is the raw file if you'd like to give it a swing: raw

Is there an authority you could point me to regarding raw image editing? Right now i'm just doing things until i think its great.

My question is: What steps did you do to the image, and why do you think it required those steps>

I just edit it until i like how it looks.

To me, that's not really editing.... it's invoking the Infinite Monkeys Theorem.

In my book, editing an image is the last step in the entire process of creating the image. That process started back when I picked up the camera. Once I identified a potential image, I set the camera to capture as much of the vision I saw as possible. Editing is only necessary to do what the camera was incapable of doing.

So, what did you want to convey with this image? What did you want to tell us about him? From there, what steps are needed in post to further expound on your vision?

Yes, most images can be improved with a bit of an S in the curve, a slight increase in contrast, and some sharpening. But not all. Editing isn't a cookie-cutter process. Edit each image on it's own merits and needs.

To me, that's not really editing.... it's invoking the Infinite Monkeys Theorem.

In my book, editing an image is the last step in the entire process of creating the image. That process started back when I picked up the camera. Once I identified a potential image, I set the camera to capture as much of the vision I saw as possible. Editing is only necessary to do what the camera was incapable of doing.

So, what did you want to convey with this image? What did you want to tell us about him? From there, what steps are needed in post to further expound on your vision?

Yes, most images can be improved with a bit of an S in the curve, a slight increase in contrast, and some sharpening. But not all. Editing isn't a cookie-cutter process. Edit each image on it's own merits and needs.

I wanted to take some nice pictures for the family, that's all the thought that went into this picture. So i'm not really sure how to respond to that? Is there a real authority on editing? Or is one man's picture as good as the next?

The major goal is to learn how to do photography and getting it as close to right in the camera as possible.
The major parts of learning to do photography revolve around image composition, light quality and light direction.

Authoritative image editing resources:
Though not an Adobe employee, Jeff Schewe has been routinely involved in the evolution of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) and Lightroom.
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop
Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

Martin Evening - The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers

Scott Kelby - The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)

Or Jon Canfield, Mark Chen, and Phillip Andrews.

Adobe evangelists - Julieanne Kost, Russel Brown, et al - Products | Photoshop | Adobe TV

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I wanted to take some nice pictures for the family, that's all the thought that went into this picture. So i'm not really sure how to respond to that? Is there a real authority on editing? Or is one man's picture as good as the next?

Hamlet, I've sworn off giving C&C, but under the circumstances I will make a slight exception and a quick recommendation. I think what Sparky is driving at here is that with this particular image you have some composition issues, and as a result the editing becomes something of a moot point. The second person in the background is too much of a distraction from the main subject of your photo, and as a result the image itself has issues that editing really can't fix.

On the upside you did a good job with both focus and exposure here - so it is a very nice start and something you should be happy about. My recommendation would be a little more aware of whats in the background - for example with this photo if you had shifted to your right and rotated a bit you could have gotten the same subject but without the other person in the background. That would have made this a much, much stronger photo to start with and you would have had something truly edit worthy.

I really hope that helps.

What I'm saying is to not edit just for editing's sake, pushing sliders back and forth, just to see if it improves the image.

The steps you take in editing an image should be determined as soon as the shutter closes.

What I'm saying is to not edit just for editing's sake, pushing sliders back and forth, just to see if it improves the image.

The steps you take in editing an image should be determined as soon as the shutter closes.

I get what you're saying, I just don't know how to do it any other way than to edit until i like how it looks. This particular image was taken with the intent of capturing the kids playing in the backyard. To the family this image makes sense and that is fine because it's meant for them.

My reasoning behind most of my images is to represent reality as accurately as i see it. Its why you barely see any difference in the edited file. Though the saturation is perhaps a bit too strong.

Most reactions

Back