What compositional rules do you follow and ignore the most?

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Often times we'll learn about the principles/rules of composition like rule of thirds, the golden ratio, leading lines, negative space, balance, rhythm, shape, etc. Which of these rules do you find yourself following and ignoring the most? Like is there one rule you'll invariably incorporate into your frame while other rules you feel don't work or contribute to your image? Any examples would also be appreciated.

I start by visually inspection and engage my mind to what I want the viewer to see. I then frame within the rectangle or square. I have the thirds grid view turned on in camera, then zoom in or out to place the subject into one of the four cross hairs or planes. There are many ways to compose however. The key to me is being able to pre visualize the composition without bringing the viewfinder in the equation. This takes practice and once you start getting that image in your head prior to camera, you can expect better images. I ignore nothing, always looking, even when I don't have a camera in hand. One of my Hedgecoe project tips is to look at each method and visually compose it without a camera. Golden ratio is a hard one to pre visualize, I made little cheat cards and glance at them while taking the dog for a walk. Problems are opportunities, that's why I ignore nothing when it comes to composition. Believe it or not, you just gave yourself 7 projects to focus on, try them one at a time and see where it takes you.

I follow the definition that, "Good composition is the best use of the available space," which I was taught by a university art professor; that, as simple as it is, was his definition of good composition.

Rules? I use the elements and principles of design. Look up that term.

It explains how things are arranged in all types of pictures.

The first thing I do is look at the subject and compose using the rule of thirds. I then look at foreground, middle ground and background (which is also a rule of thirds, so in combination is actually the rule of ninths). I consider if using the golden mean would be better and decide between the two. Next I look at my leading lines to make sure they all lead to the subject instead of somewhere else. I then look at positive and negative space to make sure I have good separation and none of the main elements are touching. The next thing is to consider Gestalt Theory to see if there is some implied action or elements that can be taken advantage of. I also have to consider the colors of the scene to make sure they are complementary. At this point I start setting up the camera to get just the right depth of field and shutter speed. Of course, by this time my subject has either wondered off or I have dosed off for my afternoon nap.

I follow the definition that, "Good composition is the best use of the available space," which I was taught by a university art professor; that, as simple as it is, was his definition of good composition.

Rules? I use the elements and principles of design. Look up that term.

It explains how things are arranged in all types of pictures.

That really is so true. Study negative space will bring you to the dinner table too.

Often I'm simply trying to highlight one aspect of the scene while creating some balance around a couple of focal points.

I just want to tell the story. If it's a flower I want some leaves and context and if people I'll want to include as much or as little as needed. I've always leaned to photojournalism since I was 15 so telling the story wins out of art. If anything I shoot turns out to be art it's purely accidental.
So I guess my only rule is "Get the shot."

I do everything that @jcdeboever describes right up to the point that I bring the camera to eye level. Apparently that movement somehow triggers a trap door in my brain and all my planning and preparation is dumped, leaving me to be like the blind pig who every now and then finds an acorn.

I don't consciously think about the rule of thirds when I'm shooting but most of my shots do end up subconsciously composed that way. Although the rule I dislike and disregard the most is... the rule of thirds, lol. Only for landscapes though. I ignore the one about the horizon not being in the middle whenever I think the composition looks good with it in the middle.

I do consciously look for a vantage point and composition that gives me balance for my subject.

I adjust the composition until it looks like a good picture to me. I don't have any rules.

What I most dislike in other people's pictures is a rigid adherence to the rule of thirds with everything exactly and precisely on thirds. Usually produces a dead picture. The other thing I really do not like is "foreground interest" which usually means incorporating a pointless, boring and not interesting lump of something at the front of a landscape.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

I adjust the composition until it looks like a good picture to me. I don't have any rules.

I pretty much do the same. I don't consciously think of any rules, but just think about what I need in the frame to express (or try to express) what prompted me to attempt the image in the first place. I don't necessarily flout any rules on purpose - I just don't explicitly think of them when I'm shooting.

What I most dislike in other people's pictures is a rigid adherence to the rule of thirds with everything exactly and precisely on thirds. Usually produces a dead picture. The other thing I really do not like is "foreground interest" which usually means incorporating a pointless, boring and not interesting lump of something at the front of a landscape.

This doesn't bother me so much as a general rule. It depends on why that foreground interest was included at all. I'll use something, for example, to frame a subject or to create a sense of scale or depth. But yeah, I agree that there should be a reason for including it.

I pretty much do the same. I don't consciously think of any rules, but just think about what I need in the frame to express (or try to express) what prompted me to attempt the image in the first place. I don't necessarily flout any rules on purpose - I just don't explicitly think of them when I'm shooting.

This doesn't bother me so much as a general rule. It depends on why that foreground interest was included at all. I'll use something, for example, to frame a subject or to create a sense of scale or depth. But yeah, I agree that there should be a reason for including it.

In painting, composition is more controllable, where as hardware makes me think more because I know what I see is what I get. I believe composition in photography is more difficult but at the same time can be more spontaneously dramatic at the same time. In the end, light and use of negative space alters an image greatly. I struggle with it but keep plugging away.

There are no 'rules'.
There are guidelines.

The guidelines we have today developed over the last 3000 years or so as a variety of composition approaches were tried.
The general consensus is that some composition approaches work better than others.
Too, it turns out that the most pleasing visual images usually incorporate elements of several composition guidelines.

For those that have an 'eye' composition is more a visceral thing than a technical thing.

What I used to look forward is the composition of the picture. Then, I used to adjust the design and arrangement of the picture as per the rule of thirds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back