What do you all have to say about this one.

ImNick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
snapped it yesterday at my pal's house.
4532854527_780f6256e6.jpg

I wish the sky wasnt blown out, but i like it.

Hello Nick
I do not want to burst your bubble here, or sound like a jerk, but....

This is just as you state in your post a snapshot. It is really easy to grab your camera and just press the shutter button. Ninety nine % of the time your result will be as in this shot.

1. You were not thinking about the exposure.
2. Pointing directly towards the sun can be done, but you need to think of the result you are aiming towards.
3. Your horizon is almost dead center of the frame.
4. There is no focal point in the shot.
5. Were you shooting the land or the sky?
6. the weeds in the foreground distract from the shot

Next time, slow down, think and then take your shot(s)

I do see what Nick thought was the focal point: it was this backlit, super-green grass and leaves, which look even more intensely coloured when the sun is this low. I'm fascinated by the sight any time my eyes see it, too. The problem, however, is: it is extremely difficult to "make" a camera "see" it in the same manner. To be all honest, I have so far found it IMPOSSIBLE.

The only way to really focus on this total greenness of the backlit grass is to EXCLUDE as much of the sky as is ever possible. The light dynamics are too wide for a camera to really capture it all (or you go the path of HDR), so really focus (by means of composition) on what it is that fascinates you so.

Here, composition has divided the photo in two equal halves (which has proved not to be the most thrilling kind of composition). The so-called "Rule of Thirds" (which is more a guideline, mind you!) has not been found out about for nothing. There is something in it!

This means that as a viewer we a) don't really know WHAT is your main focus? Is it what I assume it is and described earlier? Or is it the sunset?

Either of those would have required different settings.
Maybe this light situation will come up again and you can reshoot?

I think the colors in the grass and in the sky would look excellently vibrant had they not been in the same photograph.
But overall for one of them "seen it, had to snap it" moments i think its came out pretty well.

I agree with Pierre and LaFoto.... I see what you're going for, but you didn't quite capture it.

I think if you take the photo at a different time with a tripod may yield a better result.

If it is a morning shot, take it just a littler earlier. (It seems like a morning shot) If it is a sunset shot, take it just a littler later.

Next time use a tripod and bracket the scene (3-7 shots), then tone map with something like photomatix.

This is an ideal time to use subtle HDR.

i agree with everything said. i definitely did not take my time with this shot. i was at a friends house and it was a really cloudy day and i just brought my camera just in case i noticed something i wanted to shoot. I was not expecting to see a good sunset that evening and then my friend pointed it out to me and it kind of took me by surprise. i hurried over. took some shots at different shutter speeds and this is what came out to be the best one in my opinion.

:lmao: What a trip being quoted in someone's sig. Especially since I don't remember the thread or what I actually was talking about. :lmao:

As far as this thread is concerned, I basically agree with those who call it a snapshot. The colors are neat but the scene itself doesn't hold much interest imho so it's hard to think of it as anything more than a snap. Plus the reasons mentioned by others.

it was the thread where i posted the picture of the bottle filled with urine and covered in feces. im pretty sure the thread got deleted.

:lmao:

My reaction was probably related to the NEA "scandal" of some years ago involving a cross in urine...

Most reactions

Back