What do you think of this?

xfloggingkylex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My brother and I went out to get some shots of our cars, and we wanted to do a shot of our cars together. This is the one I like the best, so I wanted to see how everyone else felt about it. There is no post processing in these pictures aside from resize... it is straight from the camera. 4 seconds at f/6.7 ISO 200

TehBros.jpg

I think it's missing something to be honest.

The cars are white, but the meter has averaged the scene and they've come out a little grey - I would think this could be easily adjusted in PS.

I think the main problem is in the composition. There's a big gap between the cars which, because of their alignment, draws the eye to the bollard and the house/tree in the background.

Personally I would probably have gone for off-setting the cars and getting in tighter to reduce the amount of black sky and ground, but keeping the focus on the vehicles. Something perhaps more like this: http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/information/press/magazine/magazine2004/latimes1.jpg

One thing which is quite helpful to think about when taking a car shot is the roofline - follow it with your eyes and make sure that there's nothing conflicting with the lines of the cars.

Also, I'd probably turn the foglights off on the Hyundai (or buy some for the Scoobie!)

I'd say to try and find a carpark with nearer to infinity background for this kind of shot. Out of town shopping centres are a favourite as they're normally quite well lit and very large.

I like the blue lights btw!

Rob

Rob said:
I think it's missing something to be honest.

The cars are white, but the meter has averaged the scene and they've come out a little grey - I would think this could be easily adjusted in PS.

I think the main problem is in the composition. There's a big gap between the cars which, because of their alignment, draws the eye to the bollard and the house/tree in the background.

Personally I would probably have gone for off-setting the cars and getting in tighter to reduce the amount of black sky and ground, but keeping the focus on the vehicles. Something perhaps more like this: http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/information/press/magazine/magazine2004/latimes1.jpg

One thing which is quite helpful to think about when taking a car shot is the roofline - follow it with your eyes and make sure that there's nothing conflicting with the lines of the cars.

Also, I'd probably turn the foglights off on the Hyundai (or buy some for the Scoobie!)

I'd say to try and find a carpark with nearer to infinity background for this kind of shot. Out of town shopping centres are a favourite as they're normally quite well lit and very large.

I like the blue lights btw!

Rob

Thanks for all the advice. We probably should have moved the cars in closer together. We did some pictures with us standing besides of them which helps to fill the gap between the cars. As for where the shots were taken, it is just an elementary school in our neighborhood a minute or so away, it was a spur of the moment deal and we didnt want to travel too far since neither of our cars are cleaned up well enough for a "good" photoshoot (I just took the wax of mine during its last wash, and the bros hasn't been washed in a while, also our windows are pretty gross looking). We did most of the shots with the tiburons fogs off, but since thats my car I wanted it to be slightly more accentuated for this shot. funny you should mention buying them for the REX cause thats exactly what I told my brother he needed to do, so I could leave mine on.

Also those blue lights are white LED city lights, 194 bulbs. Turned out pretty blue and I like em, glad you like them too. I'll continue to post car picture up as we take more... like I said it was spur of the moment, good weather and my car looked decent.

Thanks for the critiques and keep em coming :)

Most reactions

Back