What do you think?

cbheath65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are some pictures that I have taken over the last few months with my Nikon D60.

battergrey.jpg

image20061.jpg

image20041.jpg

seagull2.jpg

Please feel free to comment...

I like No 1, the batter seems to have a magical halo around him that seems destined for a home run.

No 2 is over-exposed, and lacks contrast. I find the pose and the face of the child to be without expression. I'm sure as a parent these are wonderful, but as photographer (and father of three) I seek more emotional response from my subjects... even if they'll need therapy later:playball:

No 3 is a nice picture. Personally I find selective coloring a parlor trick to impress those without photographic knowledge... but seeing as that crowd usually includes the spouse and other relatives who are supposed to shower us with photo gear at Christmas, we've all been known to crank out an occasional print like this. They also come in handy as Holiday cards. Btw, it could also use more contrast. Work with curves to bring that out.

No 4 is over-exposed, and the background conflicts with the subject. You should have moved a little to the side to get both in the shot, or just the seagull.

Hope this comes across less curmudgeonly than I actually am.

Kind regards,

I...:playball: ...Hope this comes across less curmudgeonly than I actually am.

You sure it works with the smilie you chose to use in your post here, Iron??? ;) ;) ;)

Anyhow, as to the second, I find that photographing a child from above gives off a sense of "photographer is superior to child" or is "master" or some negative "power struggle" associations of the kind. Her face is almost in the dead centre of the frame, which is not quite so good, compositionally, and it becomes more apparent with all the negative space around her. Iron has said all there needs to be said about her facial expression (very passive, and a bit stilted -> hand under chin).

The second is nicer, though I tend to share Iron's thoughts on the use of selective colouring. Also I find it a bit flat in contrasts.

The last has the seagull smack in the centre of the frame again, with a very busy background, but that is ALSO something Iron has said already, so why repeat it?

That seagull sure is just standing there:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back