What does music mean to you?

Forgive me for going off track slightly but lately I've been wondering why a lot of people try to fill silence with noise ..... its as if silence is uncomfortable for some.

My mum works for this retreat and she was telling me about this group of people who stay a week ( every couple of months or so ) and the week is spent in complete silence .. they meditate , hike ...whathaveyou. If they need to communicate they write it down on a piece of paper.
My mum commented on how wierd it was ..... but I thought " I wouldnt mind not having to speak and just be quiet fr a period of time..... in a world filled with constant , constant noise and chatter , the crystal silence and noises of nature would be welcome......

Not really referring to music in this 'noise' group btw... theres no mystery of how pleasureable it is.. music is in a class of its own.

santino said:
reminds me of a track by Depeche Mode "Enjoy the silence" ;)

:LOL:

I hear ya, Lumi....but I think the real music lover will tell you they relish the quiet....thus the supreme appreciation of great music when silence is broken. I can't bear the TV blaring or loud music that I think is awful penetrating my silence.

Luminosity said:
Forgive me for going off track slightly but lately I've been wondering why a lot of people try to fill silence with noise ..... its as if silence is uncomfortable for some.

Lumi, silence and music (noise) are like the Yin and the Yang. One cannot exist without the other one. There is a 'piece' written by the contemporary American composer John Cage named 4'33" , where the 'soloist' does nothing but stands still as if he/she is playing, yet there is total silence for 4 minutes and 33 seconds. Cage wanted to make the point that silence is part of the music. Here is a link discussing that interesting concept piece:

http://home.flash.net/~jronsen/cagelinks.html

OK, now I'll be silent... :wink:

Music to me is a part of life. If you look hard enough, there is music everywhere and in everything around us. The birds and crickets sing. Rain and thunder are both musical. Then there is music that's written and performed as expression for what people are going through or wanting others to know.

To sum it up, I love music.

I love music, My car hifi is never off, I set my HIFI as my alarm clock to wake me up in the mornings with an album of my choice and I always have it on when I'm at home, and often when I'm walking to university, on my mp3 player.

My CD/MP3 collection spans everything from Karl Orff to Marilyn Manson, I will listen to pretty much anything, it does however depend on my mood.

I went to one of those retreats for a day once when I was confirmed, supposedly to think about what it was going to mean, instead I sat in a hut in the grounds listening to 'Dario G - Sunchyme'. For me music is peace, and people are often surprised by my ability to really chill out and relax, or even fall asleep while listening to really hard rock or dance.

I can recall a lot of moments in my life as a result of a certain piece of music or song. It seems to have that kind of effect on me.

Mitica100 said:
Lumi, silence and music (noise) are like the Yin and the Yang. One cannot exist without the other one. There is a 'piece' written by the contemporary American composer John Cage named 4'33" , where the 'soloist' does nothing but stands still as if he/she is playing, yet there is total silence for 4 minutes and 33 seconds. Cage wanted to make the point that silence is part of the music. Here is a link discussing that interesting concept piece:

http://home.flash.net/~jronsen/cagelinks.html

OK, now I'll be silent... :wink:

I heard about this ! :D .... wouldnt mind listening to it actually ( havent checked that link out yet Miti but I'm about to ).
Wasnt there a court case re. copywrite on this 'silence' on an album..?
Btw I agree on silence and music being yin and yang ... both are beautiful to me... in silence and in music there is truth.

( exluding techno tho .. that noise does my head in *doh* :| ).

Luminosity said:
I heard about this ! :D .... wouldnt mind listening to it actually ( havent checked that link out yet Miti but I'm about to ).
Wasnt there a court case re. copywrite on this 'silence' on an album..?
Btw I agree on silence and music being yin and yang ... both are beautiful to me... in silence and in music there is truth.

Funny thing about this piece is the reaction one gets from the audience. In 1994, while visiting Romania, I ran into Robert McDuffie, a great violinist and a friend of mine for years. He did a recital of American music and 4'33" was on the program. A good ten seconds into the piece (silence) people started giggling and being squirmy in their seats. No one knew the piece before hand, obviously. Some people got up and left the auditorium. At the end, though, people understood Cage's message and clapped vigorously. While the whole experience might seem silly, the great point Cage made with this piece is that we all need to cherish the silence as much as we cherish the sweet noises of life and music. I couldn't agree more.

I Love music... It's my life...

If I had talent - I would become a musician.. But I don't - so the world is lucky...

I like almost all music - with the exception of R&B.. That just pisses me off...

I have a collection of happy & not-so-happy songs on my computer... Depending on my mood - I usually skip through my winamp list very fast (via the '6' key) - until I find a song that hits me at that moment...

yep... thats my story

Luminosity said:

My mum works for this retreat and she was telling me about this group of people who stay a week ( every couple of months or so ) and the week is spent in complete silence .. they meditate , hike ...whathaveyou. If they need to communicate they write it down on a piece of paper.
My mum commented on how wierd it was ..... but I thought " I wouldnt mind not having to speak and just be quiet fr a period of time..... in a world filled with constant , constant noise and chatter , the crystal silence and noises of nature would be welcome......

Not really referring to music in this 'noise' group btw... theres no mystery of how pleasureable it is.. music is in a class of its own.

I could never be quiet for that long - i just don't shut up! I have the need to speak every 20 or so minutes. I probably even talk in my sleep...

Music means memories.

(off topic) By the way, did you know that the areas of the brain that look after memory and smell are very close - that's why smells are often associated with strong memories. (/off topic)

Ah.... thats a tough question to me.....Music has always been in my life, a song or record could tell a bit of me.....
Funny..... now just happen...i'm listen to Foo fighters - The colour and shape album(I havent listen for ages), It just reminded the time i was in guitar lessons hahahaha back in 1997!!!
I couldn't live without music.....

Hehehehehe
BTW, I work in a music store :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back