What drove you to do photography?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mrshaleyberg, Sep 8, 2010.

1. mrshaleyberg

mrshaleyberg TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm just curious what made people really want to get into it. I've always been into photography. Since I was about 12. I bought my first camera when I got my first job at 15, and since then I've loved taking pictures..

But what really got me into photography was when I went to a photographer to get pictures of my son taken. I didn't feel at the time that I had a nice enough camera, nor the ability to take professional like pictures..Until I saw her work..And got screwed over! This woman charged me $100 dollars for an hour shoot..Ok..She took about 200 pictures.

I was so excited to see the pictures! I paid her, got the cd, and when I went home to look, boy was I MAD! She gave me 15 pictures..Out of the 200+ that she took. Mainly all she did was change the color to black and white, or sepia. She put a vignette around several and pretty much called it quits. Now when I see her work, there is so much wrong with what she does! High contrast, overexposed pictures is all I see. I feel so bad for the people that actually go through her! But thanks to her, I decided to do all my own pictures of my son, and others.

So...What drove you to do photography?

2. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    so i can make teh arts

3. LCARSx32

LCARSx32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For me it was Journalism class in high school. They sent us to all of the football games and I had a blast taking shots of the team (not that we ever won, lol.) That was my first experience with a SLR camera, an old Nikon (sorry didn't pay attention to model or lenses, lol). I couldn't believe I could take pictures that looked like that. It was amazing. I've been hooked ever since.

Good thread, btw. :thumbup::thumbup:

White: You mean so you can try to "make teh arts". lol j/k. :mrgreen:

4. BKMOOD

BKMOOD TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went to film school. Once upon a time one of my screenplays was made into a horrific movie. That day I vowed that the next movie with my name on it would be directed by me. If it was going to suck, let it be my suck instead of the suck of a no talent director.

I took up photography to sharpen my visual eye (planning to direct). People started paying me. I started shooting more. More people started paying me. The cycle goes on. Now I have 14 cameras. I shoot digital and film. I shot Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus... I lost track of the lens number.

I'm still planning to direct my feature, perhaps in the spring of 2011. In the meantime, people keep paying me so I keep shooting.

5. mrshaleyberg

mrshaleyberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Ha ha! Can't complain about getting paid! :)

6. Sam6644

Sam6644 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the money.

definitely the money.

I heard somewhere that newspapers are where the money's at and I've never looked back.

7. DxAxN

DxAxN TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No real event that drove me to it...it just interested me.

8. sovietdoc

sovietdoc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    being able to see a great picture, and share that experience with those who werent there

9. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe it was because for all my life I'd seen my dad and uncle take photos - of us, on commission for others, I had access to their darkroom, could watch the photos show up on paper in the developer and all ... though it took me MANY years after that to really start to LIKE photography and begin to feel mildly confident with my own. It's a favourite pasttime, I've never been in it for the money. I don't make any money with it, either. But I like to express myself, and since I am no good at drawing or painting or rhyming... hm ... it turned to be photography.

10. crimbfighter

crimbfighter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    When I was growing up, I always used to peer over the counter of the old 60's vintage Nikkor lenses and Nikon Bodies my dad had, and just gaze upon them in amazement. After years being absent from that environment, I decided to pick it up and see why I was so fascinated with my dads stuff. I eventually figured it out. I now use photography to capture moments in time that were amazing to me, so every time I look back at them, I am struck with the same emotions I had when I clicked the shutter button. That's what does if for me. I'll never be in this for the money, that only ruins a good hobby, for me anyway.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  11. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    my creativity and passion for images and beyond!

12. Buckster

Buckster Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I was about 10, I saw a neighbor looking down into the hood of a fancy looking little box with two lenses on it. He was a retired Navy veteran, and had already showed me how to braid rope and tie various knots, which was really cool for me (I was a boy scout at the time).

Gabby and inquisitive, I had to know all about what he was doing, and he was kind enough to fill me in. He let me look down into it and gaze with wonder at the image on the ground glass of his TLR (I wish I could remember what brand/model it was). Then he spent probably a couple of hours with me tagging along, explaining about focus and aperture and shutter speed and so on. He was one of those folks that's a natural teacher, and made it easy to understand the basics, though I wouldn't fully understand them for years.

In any case, that was the trigger, and soon after that I bought my first camera. I've had the bug ever since, and I'm 51 years old now.