what DSLR is good for beginners?

The best DSLR for beginners is the cheapest one, Nikon or Canon. Those are the top two brands. The differences is in how the cameras work, meaning the controls. Don't worry about technology. Pros use either brand. What matters is what controls and features you like. But get the cheapest one because even it will be capable of more than you can get out of it. Invest in education. When you outgrow the camera, then worry about spending more.

I can't disagree with you anymore. I'm in my second year of a photography degree program (considered the best where I am) and I've learned so much on my own. Personal research has made me the photographer that I am.
A camera isn't something so terribly hard to master. Telling someone to spend money a camera that they will need to replace in a short period of time is a waste of money. I bought the D5100 and cheap glass based on this advice given to me on forums, and after 2 weeks I immediately returned the D5100 and upgraded to the D7000. After 3 weeks I knew how to properly expose my camera on the fly and compose shots properly. After that, what else is there to "outgrow"?
A year and a half later, I'm stuck with the cheap glass.
If I could do it all over, I would have went right to the D700 and a 70-200mm.

The question isn't what camera is good for beginners, it's what is good for my budget and the type of photography I'm into?
All of these cameras operate nearly identically. Buttons vary, but the concept of taking pictures is the same no matter what you buy.

The difference lies in the niche you fall into. Someone who enjoys photographing people won't buy the same gear that someone photographing landscapes would buy.

Last edited:
Oh, I have an F1 and an RZ67, I know from big ;)

The D600 just seemed huge because I can't figure out what on earth the extra size and mass is giving the user over my D3100. Do focus points and megapixels actually weigh more? Why do they make the body balloon up like some crazed zeppelin made out of lead? (har har har)

Sensor, shutter mechanism and alloy body maybe?

D50 (used of course) or D90 (new prices are not to high)

I use the D3100, and the Guide Mode makes it great for beginners. Or if you can spend a bit more, get the D3200 since it has it too plus it's slightly better overall.

i think i''ll go for d3100,,.

Go to nikon or canon website. Start at the bottom of list of dslr and move up until you get to the camera you can afford. Buy that one.

Go to nikon or canon website. Start at the bottom of list of dslr and move up until you get to the camera you can afford. Buy that one.

You got it. Or maybe get the next one up, if you are like me. JD

In my opinion any DSLR is fine for a beginner. A beginner needs to learn how to take control of a camera to get the image they want. Any DSLR will do that.

Well I am in the same Boat...

I have been looking at all the Youtube reviews and...
the D5100 is nice, has dual card slots 14 bit raw, 4 fps,
the D5200 is a bump up in megapixels, single card slot 14 bit raw, 5 fps,
and the D7000 which has a more of metal frame than plastic, 6 fps, 14 bit raw, a 39 auto point with 9 cross types, smae megapixels as the 5100....wow what a decision..

I have had alot of friends ask me to do wedding pictures etc, So I am looking at a new camera. Keep in mind Im buying the body only as I already have my prime lenses ordered.

Roll-over, crawl, walk, run, run fast, run at the Olympics. That's the basic sequence for bipedal locomotion.

Photography has a similar learning curve. Picking a camera and not knowing what you need -> roll-over stage.
Wedding photography -> fast run or at least Olympics pretender. There's quite a gap between the two.

A beginner digital camera should have four modes (Manual, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, and Program). It should allow you to manually change the focus, or direct the camera as to where you want to focus. It should allow you to change the white-balance, the ISO, and the recording method (JPG/RAW). For most shooting situations, a zoom of about 18/24mm - 80/130mm would give you plenty of reach, from moderate wide angle to moderate telephoto. And it should be cheap, so that once you've shot at least 5,000 frames with it, you'll know what you love/hate/need. Now, you can look at the camera offerings again, and decide to invest in a system. That's when you transition from walk to run.

Oh, and this is just my opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back