What DSLR to go for?

Cheesy feet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have been doing a bit of comparison shopping on the net and have come up with some possible options.

Canon EOS 500D - Has HD video and greater ISO range than any other, plus access to canons many different lenses.
Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera - Worthy contender?
Nikon D5000- Opinions?
Samsung GX20 - Opinions?
Canon 400/450D?
Olympus E-450, Olympus E-520, Olympus E-620, Sony Alpha A330,
Sony Alpha A380L, Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera, Nikon D3000 Digital SLR Camera - Not sure about these?
Sony DSLR-A200K - cheap!

I need a DSLR (and want one - so a good excuse) for A-level photography...I have lots of exotic pets: www.youtube.com/fishnreptiles that I would like to take pics/HD videos of.I also really like macro photography, and in future definitely want to do underwater photography ( so an underwater housing is a must), having read 'the underwater photographer' by Martin edge.I have grasped the basics of photography, so even if the camera isn't the easiest to use, but could produce better results than another; that may be preferable.

I don't really know what my budget is but it won't be big...It will be whatever I can squeeze from my parents Plus whatever money I have of my own.Maybe #600 at the maximum squeeze, or as little as #350...And I apologise for having no sterling sign - I should really change the keyboard settings

Now I want some of your experienced and knowledgeable minds to help me out!

Doesn't Pentax have 1080p video as well???

I dunno which of those I'd choose...but probably not the Nikon D5000...those who test it sometimes fault it for its slow AF performance in real-world situations. I'd probably buy a Canon and just be done with it.

I've been a Canon guy for ten years and would never change. I have never had a problem with cameras or Canon brand lenses. Be careful though with off brand lenses. There are lots of cheap ones and you will see why.

Good luck on it!

Most reactions

Back