What exactly is HDR

Art Photographers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.artphotographers.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have seen so many different examples. And when done right it looks amazing, but what exactly is the process? Sorry for the basic question, but it seems to be a series of exposures (obviously on tripod) and then a combining of the images. Is there a focus change in each shot or just an exposure change or both? How many shots should there really be? I have heard of up to 12 layers.. Is that so? Is there a specific F-stop to shoot at for best results? Is there a program just for HDR or does my Photshop CS 3 do it? I think thats all my questions. Let me know.

I have seen so many different examples. And when done right it looks amazing, but what exactly is the process? Sorry for the basic question, but it seems to be a series of exposures (obviously on tripod) and then a combining of the images. Is there a focus change in each shot or just an exposure change or both? How many shots should there really be? I have heard of up to 12 layers.. Is that so? Is there a specific F-stop to shoot at for best results? Is there a program just for HDR or does my Photshop CS 3 do it? I think thats all my questions. Let me know.

-its a series of shots with different exposures
usually in increments of +/-2

-i use 3 shots .. +3, 0, -3 then tone map them using photomatix

-focus change - ? .. no i dont think that will come out nice

-other program - photomatix - artizen HDR - photoshop cs2 & up

heres a comparison of photoshop & photomatix
Comparison Photoshop CS2/CS3 HDR conversion vs Photomatix Tone Mapping

photomatix download:
Download HDR photo software Photomatix

artizen HDR:
http://www.supportingcomputers.net/Applications/Artizen/Artizen.htm

It would seem to me that all shots would be at F22 so that the depth of feild would be optimum and consistant for focus purposes. Then just get the bracketing correct. Then put it through the CS2. What is the tool to combine everything. Thanks for your patience on this. I would like to use the technique properly if I am gonna try.

Is it something you need a tripod for so all your shots line up? Sorry if anyone thinks I'm h.j. his thread. There's just so many threads on this that I'd feel bad posting another.

It would seem to me that all shots would be at F22 so that the depth of feild would be optimum and consistant for focus purposes. Then just get the bracketing correct. Then put it through the CS2. What is the tool to combine everything. Thanks for your patience on this. I would like to use the technique properly if I am gonna try.

No, what aperature you set varies upon composition and subject, but should remain consistent throughout the exposures used in HDR to avoid varying depth of field.

Also, F22 is unlikely to be optimum for image quality on any lens... most lenses optimum sharpness is 2-3 stops down from max, which is usually around F8.

Is it something you need a tripod for so all your shots line up? Sorry if anyone thinks I'm h.j. his thread. There's just so many threads on this that I'd feel bad posting another.
Start your own thread. That's exactly what the forum is for.

Highjacking a thread is poor form, though your question is not as bad as some.

The answer is yes.

Last edited:
Start your own thread. That's exactly what the forum is for.

Highjacking a thread is poor form, though your question is not as bad as some.

The answer is yes.
Sorry...:blushing:

Most reactions

Back