What flash to get?

fotonemer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, what do i need to know/ look for, when searching for a new flash?
I do not want to spend a lot of money, just want a usefull flash, better than the one build in to the camera.

I've got a Pentax istDL.

If you want to use it in automatic mode your best bet is probably one of the flashes Pentax has designed for your camera. If you are okay with using it in manual mode you can go with almost any flash (just make sure it won't fry your camera).

I have a pentax film and digital as well, and I was thinking of going with this one soon:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=352100&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Not sure what your budget is, but I've tried going w/ bargain lenses and other equipment, only to decide a few months later that I should've went with a more professional version, then take a big loss on what I bought initially. From now on, I'm going with my first instinct and just getting the bells/whistles to start with.

Now, there are certainly cheaper flashes you could buy, and I don't know what your need is. Might be better to narrow your options down to a couple and ask others to compare them for you.

Manual will be fine- the flashes pentax make is to expensive for me. I'm still a student and for me to get that kind money for my hobby is just impossible! How will i know if the flash is gonna fry my camera?

Most newer flashes will be fine, but what you'll want to look for is the trigger voltage of the flash, and what trigger voltage your camera can handle. My camera is a Panasonic, and it says anything under 24 volts is safe for my hot shoe. Most newer flashes' trigger voltage is under that, but it never hurts to check and be sure.

fotonemer said:
How will i know if the flash is gonna fry my camera?

There has been a lot of talk about this sort of thing on the internet, so you may be able to find first hand knowledge if a particular flash will or won't work with your camera. Like JDS said, it's about the trigger voltage. Many cheap and older flash models have a high trigger voltage. My camera is rated for 250v, so I feel pretty safe, but if it was rated under 100v, I'd be careful.

If you need it, there is this thing

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Once you have the trigger voltage figured out, I'd say go with the most powerful (biggest guide number), undedicated Vivitar, Sunpack, or Metz flash you can afford.

Most reactions

Back