What is in your camera bag (post a picture)

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, normally I don't think about it much, I just pack what I will be needing for the weekend, and zip it up...

But I took a picture tonight of my kit for this weekend, and I thought it might be fun for everybody to share what they actually put in their bags for a "normal" shoot... and describe the contents.

So here is mine, for a weekend trip to a couple of zoos down south, and then Christmas with the family.

bag.jpg

Ok, starting with the big camera/lens combo and working my way down, clockwise, we have a D300 with 70-200 VR, a Nikon 55-200 VR, a Nikon TC-17E teleconverter for the 70-200, a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 prime, a Nikon 18-200 VR, a Nikon SB-600, a D80, a D40, a Nikon 105 VR, a Nikon 18-55 (kit lens) and a Sigma f/2.8 24-60.

The one thing this bag doesn't have is a fast wide angle to replace both the Sigma and kit lens (I use the Sigma for shooting basketball, but it is not wide enough for my needs).

I am going to have to invest in a good f/2.8 wide angle zoom... but that will be a project for next year... considering everything in this bag... AND the bag... were purchased in the last 9 months (plus a bunch of stuff I am not taking), and the camera that took this picture, I think I have spent enough money on camera equipment for one year.

Yes, I know this is a totally dorky post that has no redeeming values whatever... I just thought it would be fun to see how people load up for a trip out shooting... whether you take a bunch (like I do) or go minimalist.

My bag is pretty small, since I don't have alot of lenses and whatnot. BUUUUUUUUUUT here's mine. D50 in the top, 55-200mm lens to the right. JVC DV cam on the left. Hood for the 200mm in the center (also where DV cam battery goes). Empty space on right is for Fuji point+shoot. Below that is the cable and card reader for cameras.

cambag.jpg

Which lens you got on the D50. Can't quite make it out...

It was the kit lens, 18-55. I forget the exact specs since I ended up throwing it away in Germany (damaged when I dropped it). But I think it's the older version of the replacement I bought, which is AF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED

(I had to find my daughters camera. I can't work the freaking thing - Nikon coolpixS9... I can use a DSLR but not a point and shoot)

Anyway... I have my primary body (D200) hooked up to my 70-200 2.8. I carry a D70 backup and I use mostly an 18-135 lens hooked up to it. Here lately I have been wearing out my ring light (I love that thing) but I carry 2 other flashes, an SB800 (which I need 2 more of) and an old school vivitar 385. I am not blessed with lenses (which are becoming my next set of purchases) and I think the next one is going to be a 17-55 2.8 (by the way... I am willing to receive lenses that you no longer shoot, I am not too proud to use used lenses =o). I have a 70-300 that I don't shoot too much anymore but I still keep it in the bag for some reason.

I also keep 2 kinds of flash deflectors (1 is a softbox that is really cool) and a 30" round 2 sided reflector. The Epson card reader, batteries, bag of goodies (cleaning stuff, tripod buttons etc), battery recharters and canned air are always there along with the camera books.

This bag has a laptop slot where I keep an expandable file folder with business cards, info packs, brochures, model releases and whatever other paperwork I can scrape up. I have pens and paper and highlighters and such. And my monopod. The small video camera has a room in the bag too.

This sounds weird but I take a Crumpler "four million dollar home" bag with me everywhere. This way I can pop a lens and flash in that, carry my primary and don't have to fuss with the big lowepro. No More mystery!

attachment.php

Attachments

• $Camera Bag.jpg
    $Camera Bag.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 594
i'm getting a canon backpack for christmas, i cant wait. mine wont be packed anywhere near these though wow. do you guys find it a nussiance to take the bag off put it down somewhere and open it up to get stuff out as apposed to a should type of bag where you could unzip it and grab something out of it?

That's why I take the little sling bag. Crumpler makes a good one.

It depends on what I'm planning on taking pictures of. Today was my daughter's school christmas pagent. This is what I had in the bag: D200 and 70-200, D200 and 17-55, two sb-800's, one with quantum battery, one flash diffuser dome, two white foam flash modifiers, 1 extra set of AA's, Manfrotto monopod, one extra 2gb cf card and spare camera batteries.

In my bag, of which I am too lazy to take a picture of, I have:
-Nikon D300
-Nikon D80
-Nikon 18-135mm
-Nikon 180mm
-Nikon SB-800 (when I open it on Christmas, assuming I do in fact get it, I bet I will)
-Three batteries (whatever kind they are, I don't know)
-USB cable
-Charger
-Lens cloth
-72mm filter
-67mm filter

Here lately I have been wearing out my ring light (I love that thing)[/IMG]

My next purchase, I think, is going to be a ring light, I am looking at the Sigma EM-140 DG Macro Flash, which looks to my untrained eye like what you have. I would love to hear your views on it, if that is what it is. (feel free to do a thread hijack).

I didn't like it when I first got it (last Christmas) because I was too lazy to learn what all it did. About 2 weeks ago I decided to shoot the crap out of it and I was going to use it to set off my studio strobes (that I rarely use as well). (This is a learning month for me - I have 2 big contracts coming up next year where I'll need all my photo goodies). I never dialed down my power on the flash early on, but I did turn them to 1/32 this time. (The Sigma has 2 elements that are on either side of the lens and are individually controlled so you can create shadows).

I never fully set up the studio stuff so I decided to terrorize my kids and their friends with it and I took these shots.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104010

I am beginning to use this as my main light source. This shot was taken tonight (I LOVE the look - it reminds me of the intro of Saturday Night Live) and is the top one on my blog:
attachment.php

The Sigma isn't bad for 300 bucks. I am looking for a studio version (the kind I can stick the lens through). The only thing I wish this one had is a true ring light. The 2 sided flash is good but I think a true ring would have been better.

Attachments

• $Katie Web.jpg
    $Katie Web.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 567
Yes, I know this is a totally dorky post that has no redeeming values whatever... I just thought it would be fun to see how people load up for a trip out shooting... whether you take a bunch (like I do) or go minimalist.
Here goes.......

Empty.jpg

Absolutely nothing! LOL

This is the carry pouch my wife bought when we were going to go with a little compact P&S. Instead, I took that back and got a Fuji S700. So, it won't fit in the bag and I don't have a bag to fit a larger camera, nor do I have any other equipment but the 2 hour old Fuji :D

Figured I'd put a little spin on the thread here :D

I have one as well. It requires a "D" lens or a body that can program non-CPU lenses for proper matrix TTL exposures. Not a big deal on newer bodies, but was an issue with my D1 series bodies. The flash works well and is easy to setup. I would have preferred to have the Nikon version, but the D1X would not command it. If I were to do it all over again, I think I might go with the Nikon flash. The coiled cable of the Sigma can be a pain to work around, especially if the lens you use has a rotating front element when focusing. If cost is a major concern, the Sigma will function well and give you good results.

Once my 70-200 comes in, I will have to totally repack my backpack. I'll take a pic of it then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back