What is the best "beginners camera" ??

**MESHA**

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, :)

i was wondering what the best camera is to start of with? I was thinking, maybe the NIKON d40!?
right now, all i have is a SONY CYBER-SHOT 10.1...

What was your first camera?

And i was also wondering, what are the best types of photography to start of with as a beginner?

maybe landscape?
Or should i just grab my hubby and use him for portrait or so??

What did you start with, what is the easiest way to get a feeling for the camera??

Thank you for your help :)

My first camera was a Canon T-70 with a MF 50mm f1.8.

I shot everything that appeared in front of the camera.

The way to get a feel ... is to use every function on the camera at least ... 10 times.

Since you are interested in a Digital camera ... the results will come quicker to you than my first experience (I could not afford 1hour processing back then).

There is no best type ... when you see an image you like ... ask yourself why.
If you see an image that you do not like ... ask yourself why.

What are you looking on spending and what level of photography you hoping on getting in to or is it jst fun shots with friends?

Shoot what interests you - that way, you'll keep shooting.

This question has been asked and commented on a zillion times here, hehe. Not to be rude or anything. Do a search on "beginner camera" and you will find tons of info. Here is a recent thread I liked. It might be a bit on the technical side but I like it.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116876

Personally, I wouldn't recommend you buying anything less than a Canon XTi or Nikon D80 if you can afford it. If not, then take some time to learn composition and exposure using your current camera and save up for an XSi, D90 or better. As far as what to photograph... shoot everything. That is the way you will learn where your passion is.

i bought a nikon d40 a few months ago and i absolutely love it and recommend it.
best way to feel it is to go to the store and feel em out..
get the best camera you can afford, the canon 20D's are selling for about the same as a d40 right now on ebay so i would say go for the 20d over a d40...

why does everyone insist on going straight to a DSLR?? Start with a Point and Shoot, learn about exposure, ISO, Aperture and all that stuff then when you know how to control it and grow to feel that the P&S is limiting you, go to a DSLR.

My first camera was the canon PowerShot IS S5

Because you save your $300 before you throw away the PnS and upgrade anyway??
"I'm new, I need a dSLR..."

Nikon D40 kit, $450. Added 55-200 lens, $150... (rough guessing prices here, don't shoot me.)

Newbie with his D40 shoots around not understanding a darn thing. He reads the forum, reads the internet sites, gets himself some books recommended by the fine folks on the forum

Newbie realizes very quickly from his learning on the forum that he would much rather have more button and dial control on his camera. He realizes very quickly that he should have gotten VR on his long zoom lens. He realizes that he would now much prefer a faster lens for both of his lenses that he initially purchased.

Newbie goes out and buys a D300 and various lenses to replace what he started with.

Now comes Newbie number 2. He buys himself a $200 superzoom "point and shoot". He does the exact same thing that the D40 Newbie does in his learning on the forum, the internet, and the same books.

Much the same as D40Newbie, he learns very quickly the features that he would like when he buys his first dSLR. He also now knows that he would like a D300 along with the same various lenses that D40Newbie wants.

Who is out more money? D40Newbie who initially spent $600 or SuperzoomNewbie who initially spent $200?

I don't have a dSLR, but I now know exactly, or near exactly what I want when I do buy my first dSLR (not going to happen in this lifetime though).

Either way, an upgrade is inevitable as you say it is with a P&S. You have less cash going out with a superzoom than with a beginner dSLR. I am learning the same stuff with my superzoom as I would with a beginner dSLR.

D40's and rebles are the best starter DSLR's, just don't use the canned modes. You can get D40's cheap, ritz has them for $450 and the 55-200 for another 50 bucks.

I am with mrodgers on this. I have a Canon S5 IS that I consider like a dSLR without the flipping mirror. It cost me $340 new & I find I can take some damn good pictures with it. I am still learning to use the numerous features which mimic a dSLR. Now, if I was not willing to persew learning & lost interest I am not out a lot of money. However, if I started out with a dSLR & did not perservere my capital investment would be much higher & wasteful.

Here are a few examples of what a so called P&S can do.

frogcrop.jpg

06-03.jpg

ELily2sm.jpg

Robberfly.jpg

"I'm new, I need a dSLR..."

Who is out more money? D40Newbie who initially spent $600 or SuperzoomNewbie who initially spent $200?

Keep in mind the residual value and the knowledge gained from using a dSLR. I can almost guarantee a D40 will sell a heck of a lot more quickly than almost any P&S.

-JD-

Most reactions

Back