What is the best move to advance body or lens?

ptvredwings

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently have a Canon T3, Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5, and a Canon 50mm f/1.8. Now I have learned a lot and past my beginner stage of photography and understanding the technical aspects along with the art of it. However I do a lot of concert and night time photography. I do use a an external flash to assist with the lack of light but of course want a lens with a much better aperture. Now I have made some money on photography as well is video work but with the T3 I can't even change settings while using video so the quality is pitiful. So currently I can only pick one think currently with my budget of about $500 give or take, what would you advise my next purchase to be with my situation and needs?

Keep saving until you can buy a decent camcorder.
If possible, at least triple the amount of money you have to upgrade your gear. Also start watching the used gear market.

Is the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 the now discontinued, el cheapo build quality, horrible, jittery, nervous looking bokeh, easy to break in 2 large pieces EF 50 mm f/1.8 II? If so, replace it first - with a prosumer grade 50 mm f/1.8.

To really increase your gear, $500 won't do much. That really only buys an entry level DSLR like you already have. If you do a lot of low light work, get a Full Frame Camera. In the Canon line, the GO TO is the 5D Mark series. The 5D Mark IV just released so I would look for a used 5D Mark III. Still going to spend around $1500-$2000 though...just the way it is.

Always remember, the BEST camera is the one you have with you. You are a PHOTOGRAPHER, you make the magic, not the camera.

You can also consider the x0D series (The 60D, the 70D and the new 80D). They are still crop frames but you have full control on exposure for the video. The autofocus of the 70D and 80D are also very impressive.

If it were me, I'd use the funds for a solid tripod and a couple of heads. Especially a good video head with fluid. And if there's enough left over, maybe a basic rail.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back