What is the best photo editing desktop computer and why?

hombredelmar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

I always used windows and got very comfortable with the way it is, now I got an up to date apple desktop 27 inch seen core i5 and son on. Its been about 2 weeks I love the sleek design and Apple’s credibility in general however part of me is telling me to go back and return the computer and another half is telling me that “ you had enough with windows computers its time to change.”

What you all think?

Why do you care what we think? You already got the Apple. If you're not happy with it, return it. If you're happy with it, keep it. The post processing programs are what do the hard work. Why are you hung up on the sleek design and technical aspects? Those are not going to improve anything, especially your pictures.

I've been editing on a couple Apple computers for the last seven years. Currently running Lightroom on an iMac, it works well enough for me. I like the display. I cranked through 940 frames today and processed about 175 portraits so my subject could see some of her session's previews. I'm okay with the iMac as an editing platform. In addition to Lightroom, the iMac runs Photoshop CC amply well for me. It's been a good computer since 2011, for the $1099 or so I recall that I payed for it.

Why do you care what we think? You already got the Apple. If you're not happy with it, return it. If you're happy with it, keep it. The post processing programs are what do the hard work. Why are you hung up on the sleek design and technical aspects? Those are not going to improve anything, especially your pictures.

Anytime I have a question I ask.
Thank you for participation and your prompt response

I am using a new MacPro. Fast, quiet, FAST and super connectivity!

I've been editing on a couple Apple computers for the last seven years. Currently running Lightroom on an iMac, it works well enough for me. I like the display. I cranked through 940 frames today and processed about 175 portraits so my subject could see some of her session's previews. I'm okay with the iMac as an editing platform. In addition to Lightroom, the iMac runs Photoshop CC amply well for me. It's been a good computer since 2011, for the $1099 or so I recall that I payed for it.

It sounds as if you are very comfortable with an apple system. I always worked on windows but my last HP lop top killed my hope for the future of windows and their reliability in general. I currently have core i5. Would you advice me to upgrade to core i7 even thought I don’t deal with video editing?

Also, it takes forever to view my raw files from canon mark 3. How do you deal with browsing large files and which program do you use for that?

Thanks man, you are always helpful and very informative

It's a silly question.

Only you know how you feel about it.

Like Alan said... you like it? Then keep it. And you just said that you liked it... so keep it.

I don't... understand this thread.

I am using a new MacPro. Fast, quiet, FAST and super connectivity!

What are the specs of your computer and how do you deal with large RAW file browsing? I assume you got a lop top computer.
Thanks for sharing

It's a silly question.

Only you know how you feel about it.

Like Alan said... you like it? Then keep it. And you just said that you liked it... so keep it.

I don't... understand this thread.

Then I don’t want to waste your time. Thank you for contribution

I have an iMac 27" with a 3.5GHz i7 and 16GB of RAM with SSD
I have a firewire800 drobo which will be upgraded to a thunderbolt LaCie 5big in a couple of months.
It is fast most of the time unless I'm editing 36MP images in 16bit with a dozen layers. Helloo more RAM

I always used windows and got very comfortable with the way it is, now I got an up to date apple desktop 27 inch seen core i5 and son on. Its been about 2 weeks I love the sleek design and Apple’s credibility in general however part of me is telling me to go back and return the computer and another half is telling me that “ you had enough with windows computers its time to change.”

What you all think?

OS X, Windows 7, whatever... it's all the same when you're using Lightroom & Photoshop. A couple small changes in the shortcut keys you use, a couple small changes in aesthetics on-screen. Pick whichever you like.

Hardware-wise, things can differ a little bit. Apple's all-in-one 27-inch computer is great since you get an IPS panel & decent hardware all built into a nice computer. Overall good value if you need a good IPS panel. However, if you're super picky, building your own computer will give you exactly what you are paying for with only a markup wherever you decide to pay marked-up prices.

Don't change your computer unless if you've got the money & you like to play with your electronics. What you've got is perfectly fine. My desktop is nearly 4 years old now & I have nothing I need to upgrade. I have an i7-2600k, AMD 5770 graphics card, 8GB of RAM, etc. Hardware is getting better over time, but the need to upgrade is dependent on the file size of the images you're using, and whatever software you're using. There probably won't be much of a significant change for a few years to come.

I've always ran a windows box. Drooled over the Mac's a few times, then decided I'm fine with what I have. It's probably 4 years old now, a Dell Studio XPS i7 2.93ghz I think, 12gb ram and a middle of the road nVidea graphics card, a 240 something or other, with a 24" monitor. Does all I need at the moment.

(Note to self........ don't ask a question that that e.rose gal doesn't like. She scares the beejezus out of me!)

Here is my computer i am on now it will slaughter most any other computer.

317877_4906554271839_1839284509_n.jpg

Intel i7 990x hexacore cpu OC to 4.056 stable
3x GTX 680 in 3 way sli
24GB RAM
2x 1TB SSD DRIVES
4x 2TB 7200 SATA drives.

395961_3374918861911_36995419_n.jpg

I can convert 32gb of RAW to jpeg in 3 mins.

Last edited:

Intel i7 990x hexacore cpu OC to 4.056 stable
3x GTX 680 in 3 way sli
24GB RAM
2x 1TB SSD DRIVES
4x 2TB 7200 SATA drives.

395961_3374918861911_36995419_n.jpg

I can convert 32gb of RAW to jpeg in 3 mins.

But you can't buy a stand for your large external display ;)

Nitpicky here:

You have a 5.1 surround sound system. Your rear left and rear right speakers are pretty much parallel to your front left and front right speakers. Your front right and your front left speakers are too close to your center speaker. Ahhh! Pointless!!

Most reactions

Back