What is the difference between 16 and 24 megpixels?

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
It is something I've asked myself. Does higher resolution bring much to the table and, if so, when? I had a chance to determine this for myself today and I thought I would share the results of my little test. The subject is small shed on my property. One camera was the Nikon D7000 with the older 16mpx sensor and the other was the D7100 with the current 24mpx sensor. These are both DX or APS-C format cameras. The lens was an old Nikkor AF 24-50 zoom used at the 24mm setting. It is an FX or full frame lens Both images were shot at the maximum jpeg setting with the jpeg conversion done by the cameras. Both were done from the same position hand held using the P or program mode and matrix metering. The images had no post process at all aside from resizing and, obviously, cropping for the cropped images. Here are the images at 12" / 72:

7000.jpg

Nikon D7000 16 megapixels

7100.jpg

Nikon D7100 24 megapixels

There are some variations due to the auto white balance, exposure, jpg conversion engine etc. etc. but, as you can see, both images are sharp and detailed.

Below are severe crops of a small portion of the frame.

DSC_27027000.jpg

Nikon D7000 16 megapixels

DSC_00017100.jpg

Nikon D7100 24 megapixels

Now you can begin to see the difference in resolution between the two cameras. The 7100 produced a sharper, more detailed crop than the 7000.

I'm not suggesting this difference is all that important to the beginner. Few people engage in making such severe crops. But at least you understand when the difference in resolution matters. You may prefer one of the uncropped images over the other but that isn't the point. We are just trying to analyze differences in pixel density between two different sensors. Hope you found it interesting.

Last edited:
There is certainly a clear difference, but unless you are printing massive prints or cropping like you have, it is not a difference that will really matter.

I love my D7000. I still use it for the majority of my macro photography. As others have said, you really aren't going to see a difference under normal circumstances. Unless you are pixel peeping, or planning to use the image as wall paper in you living room, it's not likely to be an issue.

There is certainly a clear difference, but unless you are printing massive prints or cropping like you have, it is not a difference that will really matter.

I do my internet product photos with a 6 mpx camera. More resolution simply doesn't matter in that application.

I love my D7000. I still use it for the majority of my macro photography. As others have said, you really aren't going to see a difference under normal circumstances. Unless you are pixel peeping, or planning to use the image as wall paper in you living room, it's not likely to be an issue.

It is a fine camera. I love mine too. Personally I wouldn't recommend worrying about the 24 mpx sensors if one already has the 16mpx version. I do prefer the auto white balance and added contrast of the 7100 but those are different because of the internal image processor, not the sensor resolution. Most likely the 7000 will outperform the 7100 for low available light than the 7100 because of larger pixels but that is another test for another time.

It is a fine camera. I love mine too. Personally I wouldn't recommend worrying about the 24 mpx sensors if one already has the 16mpx version. I do prefer the auto white balance and added contrast of the 7100 but those are different because of the internal image processor, not the sensor resolution. Most likely the 7000 will outperform the 7100 for low available light than the 7100 because of larger pixels but that is another test for another time.

That test has been done. The 7100 has the low-light edge: Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

Joe

That test has been done. The 7100 has the low-light edge: Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

Joe

Great. That will save me the trouble. Thanks.

Don't forget to account for the different image sensor makes.
The D7000 uses a Sony (not Exmor) image sensor while the D7100 uses a Toshiba made image sensor.

Another major difference is the D7000 has an anti-aliasing optical low pass filter (OLPF) in front of it's Sony image sensor, while the D7100 doesn't have an OPLF in front of it's Toshiba image sensor.

With the exception of some not common types of imaging and printing, the MP count of the image sensor is to a large degree meaningless.

Note too that as MP count goes up and image sensor size remains the same, pixel size goes down. Smaller pixels collect fewer photons (develop a smaller signal) per pixel.

Don't forget to account for the different image sensor makes.
The D7000 uses a Sony (not Exmor) image sensor while the D7100 uses a Toshiba made image sensor.
f some not common types of imaging and printing, the MP count of the image sensor is to a large degree meaningless.
Another major difference is the D7000 has an anti-aliasing optical low pass filter (OLPF) in front of it's Sony image sensor, while the D7100 doesn't have an OPLF in front of it's Toshiba image sensor.
With the exception of some not common types of imaging and printing, the MP count of the image sensor is to a large degree meaningless.
Note too that as MP count goes up and image sensor size remains the same, pixel size goes down. Smaller pixels collect fewer photons (develop a smaller signal) per pixel.

right, some say megapixels are "meaningless", others claim the large larger pixels in older cameras, - "fat pixels" produce better images
pity the poor photographer that only has 18 megapixels in a $100 camera
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Last edited:
To go off on a tangent, how do I enable HDR and retouch menu on the camera? They are grayed out on mine. I will not likely use either but I'm trying to learn the hundreds of features. I assume HDR on Photoshop is better than what the camera can do.

I do tend to agree that pixel density is far less important than the marketers would lead you to believe. I can't tell the difference between finished jpegs of internet product photographs made with my D100 from those made with this D7100 camera. We tend to throw out most of the resolution anyway since we so commonly view our images as jpegs on LCD screens. I wouldn't say it is meaningless. I would say that it isn't very important for most things we do with our cameras. I think my OP points that out pretty well.

If a choice is greyed out on a selection menu on Nikon it means you can't make that choice in the current mode. So try changing to raw from jpg and see if that does it, or change to anything other than Auto.

I would imagine that you need to be in either aperture priority mode or manual to use HDR. Even if you can, you do not want to try HDR in shutter priority mode.

HDR on the camera can be very useful. I photograph a lot of mediaeval churches which have very challenging light. My Canon has a HDR mode on the mode selector wheel and I use it to good effect.

I tried all the exposure modes to no avail. I normally shoot raw+jpeg. I'll try it with jpeg only since it obviously isn't going to do it with raw.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back