What is the 'proper' thing to expect?

The only reason I will leave anything other than an "attaboy" is because I really see a way to inprove a shot. If I'm going to take the time to comment, I want my message to be heard - as an employer, I have learned that I get more out of people if I give them positive reinforcement first. As such (When critiquing an image) I will couch a negative comment between something positive. I wouldn't waste my time commenting on a hopelessly noobish image.

How are those of us with "hopelessly noobish images" supposed to get better if those of you who are more experienced don't want to "waste your time commenting"?

Traveler, I've found you to be brutally honest when critiquing people's pictures but you've obviously got a lot of experience and know what you're talking about. When posting, I think that people should post images that don't have overt problems. I think that you all get annoyed (rightly so) at having to point out obvious flaws with a picture. I'm not going to post an obviously bad picture and expect you all not to point out all the things that are so obviously wrong with it.

Traveler, I've found you to be brutally honest when critiquing people's pictures

Thank you for what may be a compliment.

I see telling the truth as a form of respect to the other person as an adult. I don't see the need to make some insincere gesture towards humility, by saying 'but its only my opinion'

What else would it be?

What makes me relunctant to post are people requesting advice on shooting techniques. A person (like moi) will post some tips on technique and a post or two later someone will retort ripping into your suggestions. And they are: 1) totally wrong with their comments; 2) have less experience than I; and 3) They are a crappier photographer than I.

I have decided not to argue on the web ... because, well it really doesn't do any good. But to be ripped by someone with less experience and skill makes me not want to post. Additionally, having to spend more time trying to make a critique "politically correct" than it takes to critique, also makes me not want to post.

Gary

What makes me relunctant to post are people requesting advice on shooting techniques. A person (like moi) post some tips on technique and a post or two later someone retort ripping into your suggestions. And they are: 1) totally wrong with their comments; 2) have less experience than I; and 3) They are a crappier photographer than I.

I have decided not to argue on the web ... because, well it really doesn't do any good. But to be ripped by someone with less experience and skill makes me not want to post. Additionally, having to spend more time trying to make a critique "politically correct" than it takes to critique, also makes me not want to post.

Gary

This is why I don't usually critique pictures. I don't feel that I'm really qualified to do so at this point, unless the person is more of a noob than me! Admittedly this doesn't happen too often :)

Don't stop with your critique. After all it is how YOU see the photo. People still get me down sometimes, I'll be honest. But I go back, and remember the Hertz and JonMikals, and the Terri's of my infancy. They shaped me.

You really do take a long time to learn, don't you? ;)

"You are a good photographer who knows what he is talking about and your comments are insightfull and helpfull."

"You are an average amateur with no real skill and your comments are just your personal opinion so mean nothing."

Which one of those statements would you prefer me to use to describe you?
Now think about why that is - and when you find the answer that is the answer to your question. :mrgreen:

Hertz, you are well overdue for a spanking. You are bad...bad...I tell you!

Ok, Hertz opened it up. We have had this conversation before. It should be simple. If someone you don't repect as a photog tells you that you suck, then you dont. If someone you do tell's you that you do, then you better pay attention.
I've had a bit of turn around about that. Ok, I can't suck too harshly because I have a good business, but sometimes, those little warning ring true. You have to look at your own heart to find the answer.
Dali Lama #1003 LOL.
Don't mess with my Zen!

If someone you don't repect as a photog tells you that you suck, then you dont. If someone you do tell's you that you do, then you better pay attention.

No one has ever told me that I suck as a photographer (except one PM that was very clear and direct) but I've had photos that people didn't like.

I try not to completely identify with any specific picture so I don't get upset if people don't like it. Others cope with fear of failure by not posting pictures.

I like any and all comments.

One will never learn if they never know, and one who know's it all don't want to learn.

Thanks for all comments, and When I post a picture that I say I love, Please c&c even more so I will make it better.

When I post a picture that I say I love, Please c&c even more so I will make it better.

No one wants to hurt anyone's feelings.

You have a better chance to get good, honest responses if you don't identify the subjects, if any, as members of your family and don't tell the viewers that you love the picture.

Additionally, ask a couple of questions about specific areas you'd like commented on.

No one wants to hurt anyone's feelings.

You have a better chance to get good, honest responses if you don't identify the subjects, if any, as members of your family and don't tell the viewers that you love the picture.

Additionally, ask a couple of questions about specific areas you'd like commented on.

I will keep that in mind, thanks for the advise.

I will keep that in mind, thanks for the advise.
I too will keep the advice in mind ;)
BTW
just went to take a peek at your photo and this one get my attention right away:
142109089-L.jpg

I want to be a shameless noob and ask how you did this, would you mind to offer some explanations?

Intriguing. Very touchy-feely. Has everyone retired to the lawn in robes and sandals for neck rubs and wine tasting?

Intriguing. Very touchy-feely. Has everyone retired to the lawn in robes and sandals for neck rubs and wine tasting?

Can't. My Birkenstocks are out being shampooed and my mistress is tied to the bed with the belt from my robe.

But the wine idea sounds great. Just finished arranging the accomodations for an 11 day outing to California and I need a drink.
:lol::lol::lol:

Can't. My Birkenstocks are out being shampooed and my mistress is tied to the bed with the belt from my robe.

But the wine idea sounds great. Just finished arranging the accomodations for an 11 day outing to California and I need a drink.
:lol::lol::lol:

:headbang: We're BYORC out here- and the mountains are still burning. Also remember, if you get flipped-off, it's nothing personal, it's how we stay connected to each others humanity. Oh yeah, and if you leave the mistress in the car while you buy a lottery ticket, crack the windows a bit- It's the law!

Enjoy.

BTW- the G.D. liked your edit the best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back