What is the 'proper' thing to expect?

Almost everything that everyone has told me about my shots has been dead on, and I truly feel my learning curve has been lessened by honest critique and ways to improve. Thats why i'm here. I don't tend to offer too much in the way of technical critique because i have no idea what i'm talking about. I just know what i like and say so when i see it.

You have a better chance to get good, honest responses if you don't identify the subjects, if any, as members of your family and don't tell the viewers that you love the picture.

This is SO true! Leave your personal bias out, and ask for honest critique in specific areas with no personal information.

One thing I do not like is trying to answer a loaded question: "I just love this picture. What do you think?"

Let the viewer determine what they like or dislike about your image on their terms. It can make a world of difference in getting replies! :)

Out of the many times I have commented on pictures, virtually all of the positive comments have been mentioned by the OP in some way.

OTOH, if I make a comment that describes what I see as a failing in the picture, often the OP will not respond at all.

This happens most often when there is a landslide of 'attaboy' responses and I post the sole negative one.

On the odd occasion the OP will respond with a burst of anger as if I had violated some sort of gentleman's agreement not to mention the awful color or terrible composition.

What do you expect when you comment and what do you do when you post and get comments?

From my experience, it seems that people are looking for a critique for one of two reasons:

1. They truly want honest, constructive feedback - positive or negative. They then take all feedback and analyze and utilize it to their advantage towards their ultimate goal - to become (in this case) a better photographer.

2. The other reason is that people are so proud of themselves and their photo or whatever it may be, and similar to what the other person said, might be looking specifically for a self-esteem boost. I think some people only want to hear positive feedback; anything less can really hurt their self esteem and pride.

My thought is, if you are going to post something for a critique, be prepared to get negative feedback also. In the long run though, the negative feedback is really positive if you use it to your advantage and learn from your mistakes. That said, there is always the poster who will reply with negative feedback in a completely disrespectful way. Not constructive criticism, just a flat-out attack.

I get pretty pissed off if I post looking for a critique and all I get is "awesome shot" (luckily that doesn't happen often).

If I wanted to show of my "great" pictures I'd post in a gallery, not in the critique forum.

At the same time I dont want to be told the picture is terrible - it just isn't helpful at all. Constructive criticism is what Im after.

I think that some of the problem is that beginners tend to see only the subject of the photo and none of the details or other things in the shot.
skieur

I will say me me me and wave my arm around here. Being someone who just recently started, i toltally agree with this. but i can also tell you this. If it wasnt for some of you who have been here for some time, giving open , honest and sometime harsh comments, then i would have never changed my view. Everyone will be a little insecure at time, but i belive thats what makes us people, and opening our eyes to things.

basically, I wouldnt have been as enthralled by this forum if it wasnt for you " mean, mean, mean, man/women post." because i belive anyone who wants to grow, would rather hear tips than praise.

I get pretty pissed off if I post looking for a critique and all I get is "awesome shot" (luckily that doesn't happen often).

OK, I don't think I've ever actually posted "awesome shot" but as a very noobish noob, sometimes responses along the lines of, "I really like the colors in #5" or "the second one is amazing" are as detailed as I feel I'm qualified to give. I don't tell anyone their picture is nice if I don't like it though, so the fact that I bothered to respond with my praise, albeit not very detailed praise, shouldn't piss you off.

If this is how most people feel, I'd rather just lurk than bother anyone with my noobish comments.

OK, I don't think I've ever actually posted "awesome shot" but as a very noobish noob, sometimes responses along the lines of, "I really like the colors in #5" or "the second one is amazing" are as detailed as I feel I'm qualified to give. I don't tell anyone their picture is nice if I don't like it though, so the fact that I bothered to respond with my praise, albeit not very detailed praise, shouldn't piss you off.

If this is how most people feel, I'd rather just lurk than bother anyone with my noobish comments.

i see your thought on this stella and completly agree, sometime fear of sounding like a absolute idiot, or acting like we know. " this is a nice shot IMO" is the best we can come up with.

Well, it depends on where the OP has originally placed his photo. If it was in one of our Galleries, any sort of comment is welcome and may be posted by just about anyone (other than abuse, of course, but that need not be said).

The Critical Analysis and Technical Assistence forums are a different story all together. They have stricter guidelines, which really ought to be read by everyone beforehand, and they say that in those two forums (only!), original posters as well as reply posters should go into a lot more detail in critiquing a photo (or in their presentation of said photo) than in the galleries. So those who feel they can't as yet give much of a critique should use those forums as read-only forums, maybe, to learn something from the critiques given, so that maybe later they feel learned and confident enough to also contribute. (At least such was the IDEA when those two forums were renewed and set up...).

The Critical Analysis and Technical Assistence forums are a different story all together.

Fair enough. I don't think I've posted in there yet.

Most reactions

Back