What kind of Camera and lense

Nurf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so i have started my basic journey in to photography i am out of school so i have lost access to the cameras i have been using so i need some good suggestions for some semi cheap camera options and lenses

Basically i am looking for a single lense that can fit my basic needs for various things with a high zoom ratio. A camera wise something that can be used off tripod so a lens with image stabilizer or camera, with a high enough shutter speed for taking pictures of sports or other action shots

Budget is around $1,000-1,500 anything around that would work good for me

what are you used to using? buy a camera from the same brand if you liked it. hand holding has nothing to do with the camera's shutter speed..all cameras go to at least 1/1000...it's about fast glass and high ISO

Canon 40D might be in your alley.

A digital camera

I used a Canon EOS 5D and Nikon D50
kinda was looking at the canon 20, just wanted some second opinions b/c i am not really sure what is on the market right now as far as cameras and all

+1 for 40D

Have it, love it, solid camera.

You can get it for less than 1500 w/ the 28-135 lens with Image Stabilizing.

Down the road you'll be buying at least a couple more lenses. (wide angle and telephoto). If you can't spend money on lenses down the road, maybe look into an XT with a kit lens ($500 for the kit) and look for $1000 worth of better glass. You can get a Canon 70-200 f/4L for like $550, and you have 450 to spare... With that 450, go with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Then you have a great camera (XT), an incredible quality zoom tele (70-200 L series), and an incredibly fast lens that will do better than any IS lenses in that range (28-75 f/2.8)

Forget that last part...Since you're looking for a camera with one all-around lens, I'd start with the 40D/28-135 combo.

Research all the brands you may be remotely interested in for a dSLR, and go with that.

Don't take our word for it, of course we're going to tout our own camera. If you ask me, I say order an Olympus E-3 or E-510. The canon users say canon, nikon users say nikon.

If you really want a brand that you'll love, we can't answer that question. Go to your local camera store and hold each of the cameras on display. Give it a shot. 90% of finding a good camera is the way it feels and the GUI...

Don't shop for specs, because bodys are throw away, and what features are missing now will be included in next years body. When that happens, upgrade to that body.

Camera bodies these days are cheap disposable electronics you'll be getting rid of after a few years, so it's more important to invest in a system that "feels" right, and has the type of glass you plan to be buying.

Most reactions

Back