What kind of camera should I get?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Aurora, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

What exactly do you mean by "become a photographer".

3. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why did you edit out your other posts, out of curiosity.

4. JIP

Who what posts??

5. JIP

Sorry now I see..

So Aurora what do you have now?? Usually the best place to start is expanding on the kit you already have that is why people always say tht you are buying in to a system that may take you down a very long road.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Just like any profession, it takes more than just deciding on equipment. Have you thought about further education? constructing a portfolio? internship?

(Well equipped != professional photog)

7. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    OK, lets start from the beginning. What would you like to take pictures of?

What kind of business experience do you have?

How many years do you have to invest?

And how much money do you have to invest?

How strong is your marriage? Starting a business is as time consuming as having a full time mistress, I hope your S.O. isn't the jealous type.

*do you have a wife? If not get one cause you'll need some one to feed you the first couple of years. ;)*

So, this is a short list, where do we begin?

8. JIP

I agree with all of the previous post and to add on to it. If you are in high school right now and you are really serious about taking up photography as a long term career. Be it fine art, Photojournalisim, portrature, or wedding or whatever you decide you want to do education is the best possible way to start. Where do you live? is there a good school near you? you really should be figuring this kind of thing out right now whatever grade you are in if of course you are in HS like I am assuming.

9. JIP

If you are in school for photography/art shouldn't you already have a decent camera?. If not go to a camera store and handle all the cameras you possibly can (personally I would only pick between Nikon or Canon for professional use) and figure out wich system fits your needs. Hold lenses, bodies and whatever you can to get a feel for what feels best to you. Just remember you are buying into a system that you may continue with for many yeara to come so choose wisely young Jedi.

10. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You CAN take photogrpahy without all that sheesh mixed in...maybe not at your school, but it's available at a lot of colleges.

Anyways, go to the store, and hold a Canon, and a Nikon. Pick up a few in your price range. Buy which one feels right to you.

If you're gonna be in business right off the bat, go for like...20D or above (I dono what the is in Nikon terms)

Both Nikon and Canon will do the same thing, but doing them is different for each. Then you have different choices for lens options. That's mostly the biggest difference is the glass.

11. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    Hold the camera.

* does it feel comfortable?
    * too heavy
    * too light
    * switch to aperture priority. Are you comfortable with how the camera changes the aperture?
    * switch to shutter priority. Are you comfortable with how the camera changes the shutter setting?
    * switch to manual. Can you easily change both the aperture and shutter without feeling confused
    * go through the menus. do they make sense to you? How easy can you find features like ISO settings?
    etc..

Nikon and Canon have different "user interface" designs. Some take to one or the other pretty consistently.

Honestly.. I am surprised that you have made it this far without so much as basic knowledge of an SLR (film or digital). Your original post made it sound like you just woke up one morning and said "I want to be a professional photographer".

If you really dig to the core of your question, you are asking a pretty broad question "What camera should I buy?". This is so broad that all you will get are general responses. If you dig into past posts, the "Which camera should I buy" posts that get the most useful feedback are those who provide a lot of information regarding what they like or expect out of a camera.

This is similar to asking "What clothing makes me look good?" without saying what type of clothes I want, what I planing, or even knowing if I am male or female.

12. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    oh yeh.. if you tried the Olympus E-500 and like it, I think that you should also consider Olympus; no reason that you should limit yourself just to nikon or canon.