what kind of flash is this?

metroshane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was watching the showtime series "Family Business" and a photographer had a flash attached to the front of his lens. Not any ordinary flash though. It basically looked like a tin bowl with a lens hole cut out. The bulb, I can only assume, looked like one of those circular halogen jobs that went around the lens.

Anyone have any idea what I'm describing?

AS was said, designed for macro work, but it's also been used some in fashion photography. Puts a ring shaped highlight in the eye which looks kind of cool, but I'm not such a fan of the front lighting.

Yes, that's it exactly. Thanks. So is the overwhelming opinion that it isn't really that great for fashion? That's what I'd want it for.

Would a slave flash work just as well in your opinion. I guess the one benefit is that it enabled the photographer to move around quite a bit without dragging a flash or hot light set up around.

Well, some folks like it for fashion. I just like side lighting to emphasize texture and form. A ring flash is about as frontal as you can get, and obviously very close to the lens axis (red eye problems???) It could be used in conjunction with additional lighting though. If you look through any "how to light folks" book at the book store they will probably have a page or two about using them for portraits.

Ring flashes have low guide numbers because they are usually used with macro photography.

actually...

the ringflash/ringlight used for fashion isn't the same one for macro work. profoto makes one for their 1200 series power packs. so it is designed to light up more than just little things.

it is popular for fashion photography, because it is frontlit. with fashion, you want to illuminate the clothing as much as possible. also, it creates a distinguishable halo effect around the subject. yes, it does cause red-eye, but this can be remedied by sunglasses, or having the model look away from the camera.

sean

Most reactions

Back