what kind of lens to capture pictures of people

lawrencek328

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a canon t5i camera and wondering whats a good lens to use to capture pictures of people, friends nightlife parties weddings etc... my budget isn't too high maybe 200-300 thanks in advance guys!!

Every lens is good as long as the lens cap is off !!

you probably want something up to 70mm
As Lew mentions the ability to gather light in low light situations is important, depending if you are doing this for fun vs more than fun. Of course as you look at better and better lenses, such as Canon's "L" lenses, then the prices go up alot. Professional lenses that are great at low light typically have a "f stop" of 2.8 or lower, such as down to 1.4. But those lenses are way above your budget.

thank you for that link I have a book im reading as well, but is there a certain lens you would recommend to start with?

thanks guys! mine is 18-55mm lens I need to play around with it and learn how to adjust the iso and shutter speeds do you know of any tutorial sites?

thank you for that link I have a book im reading as well, but is there a certain lens you would recommend to start with?

I would recommend a 50mm 1.8

It's nice and fast plus cheap.

Why no zoom? If you can use this lens to its fullest and overcome it's limitations you will get some stunning images and it will teach you how to frame a shot properly from the word go.

ok does the brand matter much? I see some for 95$ and some for 250$

If you do not know what lens to get, then just use the kit lens for now. Once you learn more and experience more with your camera, you should know what to get next.

While I kind of agree with Dao that the kit lens can be used to teach a lot, i also agree that the 50mm F1.8 is a great start place for a second lens.

When I first started shooting I used my kit lens that came with my old Nikon D40. When I finally made the smart decision to switch to Canon and buy a 5D I also bought a 50mm f/1.8. I personally think it's a great lens for the price.

awesome thanks guys for the info, ive been playing with av mode a lot, do you guys have any websites that have good tutorials?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back