What lens should I get?

Kim Cook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently use a Nikon d5000. We are going up to the mountains next month to look at the fall leaves and pick apples. I really want to rent a lens to use on my camera to take pictures of my daughter and all that stuff. Any suggestions? I've been reading that many lens aren't compatible with my camera so I'm not sure what I should get. I was going to get a 50mm but it seems like that they aren't compatible with it. Any suggestions?

Nikon AF-S lenses should autofocus fine with your D5000 as they have the internal focus motor which your camera lacks, so if you do want a 50mm prime the AF-S 50mm 1.8 G would work well. As the D5000 is a crop sensor camera, the 50mm will act as a short telephoto so for a more 'standard' focal length, an AF-S 35mm 1.8 G would closer approximate the view your eye naturally sees. Both lenses are cheap enough to purchase rather than rent, however if you're set on renting, I'd recommend a standard zoom to allow a little more flexibility - just ensure it has an integral focus motor or you'll have to focus manually. There are a multitude to choose from, 24-70 f2.8, 18-140 f4 DX, 16-85 etc but the faster lenses (f2.8) can be heavy to carry around on a trip so might be an idea to try them out first if you can. Hope you have a great time and show us some of your best shots!

Okay, here's the deal...the Nikon D5000 has no autofocus motor in the body. So...if you're going to shoot auto (i.e.: let the camera do the focusing, shutter speed, and aperture for you), then you need to have a lens on the camera that has an autofocus motor in it.

It's not true that most lens aren't compatible with your D5000. If you're comfortable shooting manually (where you do the focusing) than any lens with a Nikon mount (there are hundreds out there) will work for you just fine.

If you want auto capability, then just buy a lens with an AF-S designation. Or bring your body to the camera store (if you're buying it in person), try the lens on your body and see if it focuses (if you don't trust the clerk to tell you if it has an autofocus motor in the body).

Now, as to what type of lens to shoot with....I personally love prime lens (i.e.: not a zoom lens). They're sharper then a zoom lens of comparable price (fewer working parts). They will usually have a bigger aperture (that f-number thingy) that allows you to get very pleasing portraits or even some cool macro shots. However, if you don't want to swap lens and are probably going to shoot some portraits/close-ups of your daughter at play in the orchards, some landscapes, some of the baskets of fruit, than a zoom that goes out to at least 120mm would be good.

Personally, I'd suggest you look at the Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens. It will shoot some lovely landscapes (wide angle). You can shoot nice low-light photos (b/c of the wide open aperture). It's cheap. It's light. It's sharp. And it's AF-S so it will work just fine on your D5000. You can buy it new off of Amazon for less than $200.

The other thing (since you'll be shooting outside) is: get thee a circular polarizer to help your colors show their true beauty during foliage season. And do not set your white balance to auto or daylight (even though you're shooting outside in the daylight). I'll spare you the detailed explanation of camera white balance except to say that an auto setting reduces the extremes (basically it pulls everything towards the middle) so it takes those extreme reds and yellows in the leaves and it mutes them...turns them in to paler versions of what you see.

so many words.

just get the 50mm 1.8G you were looking at -- it's compatible.​

What lens do you already have? The 18-55 kit lens ("kit" because it comes packaged with the camera)?
The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 is a great choice; OR consider the Sigma EX (DG HSM) 50mm f/1.4 if it's an option where you're renting. I had the Nikon 50 f/1.8 and really liked it but ended up selling it and upgrading to the Sigma, and I like it even more than I did the Nikon 1.8 version. Sometimes the Sigmas are less expensive, so maybe that would allow to rent two lenses rather than just one. Both the Sigma and Nikon should auto-focus just fine with your camera; I used them on a D5100 and D7000.

However, you might also consider a zoom, if you already have the 18-55 kit lens. The 18-55 will give you the wide angle for landscape shots and a 50mm range for full-body shots.
If I only had the 18-55 and was wanting to rent a lens for your stated purpose, I think I'd probably rent a zoom; the Nikon AF-S 70-300 would be a great choice, and definitely works with your camera. The 70-300 is a really nice lens for the price, but forewarned--you'll want to own one! Fortunately, they are also a really good value. That would give you a whole new focal length range to work with, allowing for closer-up photos of leaves, zooming in on your daughter, etc. SOME of that you can do with "manual zoom" (walking closer to your subject) but in the mountains, you can't always GET closer to what you want a closer picture of.

You may have heard that the 50mm "D" is "not compatible" but that is because it won't auto-focus on your D5000. The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 G will autofocus. I have one, BTW, and I love it.

FYI: in your user's manual, there is a table of lenses that are compatible with your camera.

If it were me, I'd purchase a 50 and rent something that I might not purchase, such as the 70-200 ($2,400) or the 24-70 ($1,800).

Auto Focus is not an end all to be all.

In some shooting situations AF doesn't work very well and you will have to manually focus an auto focus lens. Page 55 of your D5000 user manual shows 6 common situations that are like that.

Your D5000 has a manual focusing aid called Rangefinder mode.
You turn on Rangefinder mode in the Custom Settings Menu, menu a4 - see page 156 of your D5000 user manual

the 35mm 1.8g is a nice lens, i like mine, i prefer a 35mm over 50mm inside the house if you want more than one person in the shot a 35mm is better. or you could get the 50mm 1.8g i would imagine that is good too. or you could get the 50mm 1.8d and use manual focus.

you may also want to look at renting a 70-300mm lens as well if you do not already have something like that, you never know when you might need a bit of zoom

any nikon lens that says it is AF-S and has a silent wave motor should work on your camera and auto focus. any nikon mount lens that does not have that should still work but it will be manual focus.

I currently use a Nikon d5000. We are going up to the mountains next month to look at the fall leaves and pick apples. I really want to rent a lens to use on my camera to take pictures of my daughter and all that stuff. Any suggestions? I've been reading that many lens aren't compatible with my camera so I'm not sure what I should get. I was going to get a 50mm but it seems like that they aren't compatible with it. Any suggestions?

Here are some lenses that you can use with the Nikon D5000.

The prices are very good if your are considering a rental.

CalumetRentals - Search results for: 'AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX'

The Nikon D5000 has a DX sensor, so you will need lenses that work well with that sensor, also, all the lenses need to be G which is what allows them to work in autofocus with a camera that has a DX sensor.

I think that the 35mm and 50mm are the best options for you.

Most reactions

Back