What lens should I start with?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ChickenFriedRyce, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ChickenFriedRyce

ChickenFriedRyce TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was just wondering, should I go with an 18-70mm alone or would it be an investment to go along with an add 75-300mm?? (Saying that I will upgrade to another camera compatible with the same lenses??

Example:
    A200K w/ 18-70mm $700
    A200W w/ 18-70mm and 75-300mm $900

and then after awhile, I upgrade to an A700... let's say it'll be about $1000 (body only) by the time I upgrade?

2. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you're not sure if you need the tele or not, don't get it....yet. Just get the 18-70 and have some fun! Usually, when we buy lots of gear at once, we end up having 'favorites'...where we prefer lens A over lenses B and C....but getting gear one piece at a time, will make you appreciate each one more. IMO of course.

Example... I bought a lensbaby last week, and a Sigma 10-20 this week. Since the 10-20 came in, I haven't spent the time using and appreciating the lensbaby, even though it is capable of some really neat things!

3. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

while It certanly would be nice to have both lenses right off the bat it might be a better idea to just get the basic package and learn with it and then later when you do want to upgrade you might have a little more cash to invest in a better second lens.