What makes a good photograph?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ernie, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ernie

ernie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey,

Just as the topic title says: what makes, according to you, a good picture? I know this is a question that's probably not answered in one or two lines/pages but I'm trying to get a general idea of what photographers look for when they take a picture. Just to get some tips and pointers composition and color wise, whatever, being an amateur to all of this. (Plus I think it'd make a nice topic)
    So post your thoughts, and maybe post a picture along to make clear what you're talking about?

- Ernie

2. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    a photograph that many people would love.....that's what makes it good......i dont think you can make a simple rule to classify them.......photography is really subjective.........you can have a photo that you think is good but many others dont like it.....so what you think is good....might not be really that good

3. ernie

ernie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok good, opinions may vary but that doesn't have to stop you from giving your idea of a good photograph right?

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, Ernie, only earlier today did I post the question "Is there something like 'objective critisism'" into the Photographic Discussions. And the replies so far go in the direction that there is no such thing.
    That is why I believe that outside such technical things as proper exposure and focussing there are no "objective things" for a photographer to look for. I am still waiting for some of the learned artists among us (those who really read the Fine Arts in Uni or did photography courses in college and had teachers and all that) to reply and tell me what they were taught, but ... it seems like the ideas of what makes a good piece of art (painting, drawing, photo, film take etc) are as varied as people are individuals, and critique and liking of the same is only and very subjective.

Shall I merge this and the other thread?

5. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I could probably write a small book on the topic. It's not something to be answered in a few sentences.

6. NYBrit

NYBrit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How do you even put that into a few words. So many things can make a good photograph. A beautiful woman. A beautiful sunset. A beautiful landscape.
    But it doesn't have to be beautiful to be good. Look at all the urban landscape photos. All those reportage B & W shots. Old things. Old people.
    Good composition and an interesting subject is what makes a good photograph at the end of the day. Even a landscape shot can be ruined if it isn't composed right.

7. Goran Katic

Goran Katic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some people look to much on tehnical side, but I think that even "tehnicaly" bad photo can look beatiful.:)

8. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

i've said it.....is hard to draw a line when defining good photograph.....but i can say.....to me.....a bad photograph is one with bad composition...ugly color.......either terribly underexpose or overexpose

9. f8lranger4x4

f8lranger4x4 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. RacePhoto

RacePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Technical "good" can be looked at in many ways. If you are looking for something like, color, sharpness, contrast and composition, that's the answer. However sometimes you don't want sharpness, or maybe don't want high contrast. Possibly you want sepia or B&W.That leaves composition.

A picture that tells the story it's intended to tell... is a GOOD picture.

It's that simple.

11. Goran Katic

Goran Katic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yep, tehnical side doesnt makes a good photo.

12. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My take on this... if there were an answer to this question than photography wouldn't be art. Asking questions like this and hearing people's opinions only tells you about those people themselves as there is no "answer" to what quality art is. That's the beauty of art. It's subject, debatable, what's garbage to one means the world to another... it's undefined.

I do know that it has nothing to do with mass appeal, beauty, etc.