what metering setting do you like best.

well i guess its something i am going to need to play with, next time i dont like the way my shots are turning out ill change that and see if i notice a difference.

I've been using the new highlight weighted metering mode way more than I had expected, in a variety of conditions.

well i guess its something i am going to need to play with, next time i dont like the way my shots are turning out ill change that and see if i notice a difference.

In AUTO modes, Matrix metering can be very good. in MANUAL mode, using Matrix metering is...kinda dumb...center-weighted or spot metering makes much more sense when using Manual metering, since the Manual part of it involves the photographer deciding on what he/she wants to emphasize in terms of metering.

Keep in mind also that with wide-angle lenses, a TON of sky can easily be picked up by the wide view of the lens...similarly, a boatload of darker ground can also be seen by a wide-angle lens. When using a tele-zoom lens, the angle of view becomes very narrow, and so the metering system's overall view of the scene can be swayed by the narrow angle of view of say, a 200mm view. And the metering being swayed can lead to either over- OR under-exposure.

The overall saving grace of modern Nikon metering is the Distance-aware and Color-aware metering aspects. Backlighting in the olden-days used to be much trickier to meter, but now that the FOCUSED distance is a critical factor in Nikon metering, it helps get better exposures on backlighted situations than say, the cameras of the 1970's offered. And of course, in today's world, we only need to wait about 1 second to see the shot and how the metering suits or does not suit the scene; we no longer need to wait 7 to 14 days to get the slides back from Kodak...

It's a tie between parking or gas.

highlight weighted, I only have matirx, center and spot

lately I have been using center weighted, I took a few pics with different metering but i really could not tell a difference, I did notice a slight difference but it was next to nothing.

on my D5300 i have it set to matrix metering which seems to be fine but i would like to hear what you use and why you like that metering setting.

I use all three depending on the situation.

Well i have been getting good images with my new camera lately, not sure if its because i started using center weighted most of the time or if i was just not good with the DSLR at first, but seem to have got back into the swing of things with a DSLR pretty fast. Some times the sky still looks more white than blue, it almost seems like if i get more of the sky in the photo than its blue, if i only get a little of the sky in the frame than its white-ish. It also seems depends on how blue the sky is that day.

the metering only seems to effect the color of the sky slightly, One thing i have been doing is underexposing a bit according to the light meter's bar, photos seem to come out better than way most of the time.

Lately I've been using manual lenses that won't allow metering in camera. So it's been the Weston Master II both reflected and incident when ever possible. Starting to prefer it over in camera. But then again I've been shooting things that sit still or come to me so speed isn't paramount.

Most reactions

Back