What point to upgrade?

Tulsa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At what point would one upgrade cameras? I have had my XSI for almost 2 years now, been thinking about selling it, and upgrading to a 50d or 5d(found a decent deal on the 5d)

Upgrade when you know you need more features, better features, faster features.

Key words here are, "know you need"........not...... "think you need.

Thats a great answer, its easy for myself to want something, but not need something. I am pretty much set on lenses.
I have a 18-35mm USM L, a Sigma 10-20mm and a 80-300 zoom/macro
not sure what else I could upgrade, other than a lighter tripod, I have a Manfrotto 3036 with Bogen 3047 head...HEAVY.
Possibly a light setup, quality polarizer filters?
I have a flash as well.

Is there anything missing here that one would recommend?

I think only you can answer this question. It seems you are upgrading just to upgrade. Instead of asking others what they think is missing, what do you find yourself wanting during a day of shooting? Higher ISO? More FPS? Etc, etc. BTW, this is coming from someone who has had to fight off upgrade fever for a while now. I really want a full frame, but I know the limiting factor 90% of the time is me, not my equipment. I love the high ISO of today's full frame cameras, but not often enough do I find myself really needing it. But when I do...

It seems you are upgrading just to upgrade. Instead of asking others what they think is missing

the last sentence in my above post asks what everyone thinks I am missing.

Anyway If I was to upgrade body it would probably be just to upgrade. but I have upgraded lenses to fit what I need.
I do find myself needing a light compact tripod, I would like a remote for long exposure night shots.

Well, you've had the Rebel for two years,and you've found a good deal on a 5D classic. You only live once. You might as well go for it and move up. I'm not that familiar with older EOS lenses, so when you wrote 18-35 USM-L, I assume that's either a typo, or that Canon made an 18-35 a few years back. I think you will be surprised at the difference in angle of view on FF as opposed to the Rebel and 1.6x FOV crop. Obviously, the 5D has no built-in flash.

thats what i like to hear!!
yes the lens is a few years old, I need to research the FF feature, I am not too familar with the advantages it has over what I currently have.

If you want FF then go for the 5d. If not the 7d is also a great camera. You might also want some nice fast glass though or a nice flash/lighting equipment.
TJ

You might also want some nice fast glass
TJ

yeah, i need to research the FF, i am not very familiar with what it does, but I would consider my L series lens a pretty good lens, I dont think I would want or need to upgrade past this lens.

It allows you to use higher ISO's and also you get to use your lens to the true focal length. Instead of it being a 1.6x crop i think it is on Canon cameras. There are tons of benefits but if you're shooting like wildlife and birds you might want to keep the crop body to get that extra "reach" from the lens.
TJ

I love to do urban type stuff, here is one of my favorites, I have sold a few prints as well...
office8watermark.jpg

I love to do urban type stuff, here is one of my favorites, I have sold a few prints as well...

If you do lots of night time stuff, then I do suggest looking at the 5D. From experience (I own one)....it rocks at high ISO. :thumbup:

I went from the original Rebel (300D) to the 5D back in 2007. All I can say is WOW. :drool:

Yes, I love night photography, I would say its what I do the most of, going to have to start messing with HDR

what would be a decent deal for the body only? i have a wtb in my local craigslist, already have had 2 replies, one for $2000 other did not get price yet, but I am in contact with someone offering a 5d for $890, sounds too good of a deal? its not too old, but it has had 80,000 snaps.

Most reactions

Back