Laptop Or Desktop

I had a thought, I have enough room behind my desk to squeeze in a floor stand to hold the lap top and an external monitor. If I go with a thunderbolt hub I can piggyback all the accessories and only require one actual connection to the laptop. When I'm ready to travel I disconnect the hub , power and go. What am I missing?
AT work, they gave us a hub that the laptop would just snap into by laying it on top . The hub had been already connected to a large monitor, the internet, power, etc. One flip of a switch and the laptop disconnected, and you were off and running to the field. You could keep the laptop open and use its keypad or close the laptop and use a regular sized keypad already connected to the hub. I don't recall what these "hubs" are called.

I don't recall what these "hubs" are called.
Docking stations? I looked at some vertical docking stations but they didn't have much in the way of connections. You still have to buy a hub.

Docking stations? I looked at some vertical docking stations but they didn't have much in the way of connections. You still have to buy a hub.
It looked something like this where there was this long strip that allowed everything to be connected from the laptop to the docking station in one movement. Hit a lever and the whole laptop comes off. Maybe you need a special laptop with the strip connector in the back?

Yeah, also thought about a NAS 4 Bay RAID. I've used an external monitor before with my laptop, which wasn't convient because of desk space. With a wall mounted arm, it might work

What I've done with small desks with laptops is to put the monitor on the closed laptop, used a wireless mouse and keyboard. Saved the space the laptop takes up.

I use my laptop at lot for work and hobbies, as well as when I travel. Because of that my laptop is usually faster and more powerful than my desktop. I have an old compact computer desk on casters located at a right angle to one end of my electronics work bench. I have a mount for my K-70 on a floor joist above the bench:

I use it to document projects on the workbench. The laptop sits on the computer desk to control the K-70 by wifi.

@Dale H. Cook there was a time when we were on the road for several weeks at a time. Business interests dictated having a computer during those times, but our extended travel times are over because of age/health, so the lap top isn't as much an issue. I'm thinking the advantages of a desktop outweigh the laptop. For what little travel we do, I'm leaning toward an IPad.

My current laptop is srill working great, but I've recently started thinking about an upgrade. I've stayed with a laptop for several years because of travel convience but now that I spend less time away, I'm wondering if it might be time for a desktop. I run proprietary business and accounting software, and Adobe LR/PS.

The only real advantage of the desktop for me would be the larger monitor, and possibly gaining some desk room. I have a limited amount of space. Ideally I'd use both for but then I have the synch issues. Anyone using multiple computers? How do you handle synchronization and is it worth the effort. I'm not bother by the screen size of the laptop, I've had dual monitors in the past, and found them difficult to use, might be a little ADD.

Comments?
I thought using a laptop with a hub would be easier and more efficient than having a tower and a laptop for travel, but with all the stuff I connect, (dual monitors, printers, scanner, headphones, microphone, cameras and card readers, etc. etc., I quickly overwhelmed the hub and I was having problems constantly. I went back to a tower with lots of USB ports and Starlink internet and everything runs very smoothly. I don't travel much anymore, but I still have the laptop with Photoshop and I can do quick edits on the road if need be. Mostly I just save that for when I get home.

with all the stuff I connect, (dual monitors, printers, scanner, headphones, microphone, cameras and card readers, etc. etc., I quickly overwhelmed

Yup mine looks like a weird science project with wires going everywhere for external drives, pads, monitor, etc. It works, but its a PITA

I started replying with a list of why I prefer a desktop, and interestingly enough, most of those reasons no longer hold true. I'll list them anyway in case it is of some help...
  • Faster processor: Most laptops use low power processors to prolong battery life and generate less heat. However these days, most laptops come with a fast enough processor that it is a non-issue.
  • Bigger display: I have spent the last 8 years editing on a 27" 5k display. These days, even with Apple desktop systems, the display is separate and can simply be connected to a laptop or docking station.
  • Display brightness doesn't change based on viewing angle: I think this one still holds true; I have ended up with images edited to be too bright because the laptop screen was tilted too far and appeared darker at that angle. Again, this is fixed by simply attaching an external display.
  • Upgradability: Depending on manufacturer, desktop systems tend to be more upgradable and user-serviceable than laptops. However this is not always the case; many laptops can be opened, serviced, and upgraded by the end user, while many desktops, particularly those from Apple, cannot be upgraded.
  • More internal storage: This used to be the case with spinning hard drives. Now with internal SSDs, it is less of an issue.

I started replying with a list of why I prefer a desktop, and interestingly enough, most of those reasons no longer hold true. I'll list them anyway in case it is of some help...
  • Faster processor: Most laptops use low power processors to prolong battery life and generate less heat. However these days, most laptops come with a fast enough processor that it is a non-issue.
  • Bigger display: I have spent the last 8 years editing on a 27" 5k display. These days, even with Apple desktop systems, the display is separate and can simply be connected to a laptop or docking station.
  • Display brightness doesn't change based on viewing angle: I think this one still holds true; I have ended up with images edited to be too bright because the laptop screen was tilted too far and appeared darker at that angle. Again, this is fixed by simply attaching an external display.
  • Upgradability: Depending on manufacturer, desktop systems tend to be more upgradable and user-serviceable than laptops. However this is not always the case; many laptops can be opened, serviced, and upgraded by the end user, while many desktops, particularly those from Apple, cannot be upgraded.
  • More internal storage: This used to be the case with spinning hard drives. Now with internal SSDs, it is less of an issue.

Most gaming laptops come with upgraded processors and heat dissipation. My HP Omen is fast enough. The problem with it is that Adobe, with each upgrade is leveraging more and more of the GPU processor. I've noticed some issues with the latest AI update, that a newer more powerful GPU would breeze through.

I will agree that the desktops have more room in the case making them easier to service/update. You couldnt slip a hair inside my current laptop, it's packed solid.

I hope I ordered the right one, new desktop in route.

MLW ordered an i7 15" laptop and a basic 27" monitor as well. The most demanding photo-related thing I'll do is merge panoramas and the old i5 laptop had no problems with those. I looked at deskops and couldn't quite match the laptop deal.

@snowbear I hit a good deal on an HP Omen gaming computer. I'll transfer the business apps from the laptop over which will free up space on the laptop, and continue to use it as needed.

I would like to go to an IPad Pro for mobile, but until Adobe makes tethering possible with the IPad I guess I'm locked in to maintaining a laptop, or buy a field monitor.

I would go with a desktop, and that is what I will do when I replace my current desktop (actually a mid-tower).
The reasons are:
#1 - Ability to upgrade components.
1a - GPU
- I did not have a GPU, a few years back I was looking at a GPU card, but because of the mining craze the prices were nuts. So I did not get one.
- Last year I finally bought a GPU, to be able to run the AI noise reduction software. The AI system requirements were above the GPU that I had planned to get a couple years before.
So, I can upgrade the GPU as needed to match the software requirements.
With a laptop, you are stuck with whatever GPU you bought, you can't upgrade it.

1b- Video
I got a 32 inch 4k monitor, for my old eyes. My base system could not drive the monitor at 4k. The GPU card could.
My other computer cannot drive the 4k monitor at 4k. Like my main computer, I have to put in a 4k video card.
With a laptop, you are stuck with whatever you bought.

#2 - Expansion
2a - Data Storage
- #1 for OS and programs
- #2, for data, 8G HD
- #3, for removable backup, I have a removable drive tray for a 3rd (backup) drive.
On top of this, I can go to an external USB3 HD.

2b - USB
I have run into situations where a device will NOT work on a USB hub, even a powered hub. The device only reliably works plugged into the USB port on the computer. Why, I don't know. In those situations, I NEED enough available USB ports ON the computer.

#3 - Keyboard
I hate the current laptop keyboards.
If I am going to do more than a little typing, I want a full size, full travel keyboard with a 10-key pad.

I view a laptop as a compromise computer, necessary for travel or where space is at a premium.
- I hate the viewing angle to a laptop screen. Hurts my neck and shoulder to use it for anywhere near the length of time I use my desktop.
- I hate the feel of laptop keyboards. A full size keyboard will take one of the USB ports, and the trackball/mouse will take another port.
- I NEED a 10-key pad. If not using a full size keyboard, that will take another USB port.
- All expansion has to be via USB, or an expansion dock IF available.
- My 8GB data drive will have to be external, and take another USB port.
- My external backup drive will take another USB port.
- Video is fixed.
- - The max rez is fixed. I cannot drive a newer external higher rez monitor at full monitor rez. On my desktop, I installed a new video card that could drive the monitor at full rez.
- - The interface is FIXED. When the school switched to HDMI video projectors, the HDMI plug could not connect to my old laptop.

So, desktop or laptop, depends on what YOU need.

@ac12 I got a Black Friday special that was to good to pass up. HP Omen liquid Cooled Gaming Desktop, Intel Core i7-10700K Up to 5.1GHz, GeForce RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 64GB RGB DDR4, 2TB PCIe SSD+2TB HDD. Enough ports and expansion slits to carry me for a few years. I'll probably upgrade the GPU this coming year, but for now it's great. My laptop is still working fine so for now I'll keep them both.

I would go with a desktop, and that is what I will do when I replace my current desktop (actually a mid-tower).
The reasons are:
#1 - Ability to upgrade components.
1a - GPU
- I did not have a GPU, a few years back I was looking at a GPU card, but because of the mining craze the prices were nuts. So I did not get one.
- Last year I finally bought a GPU, to be able to run the AI noise reduction software. The AI system requirements were above the GPU that I had planned to get a couple years before.
So, I can upgrade the GPU as needed to match the software requirements.
With a laptop, you are stuck with whatever GPU you bought, you can't upgrade it.

1b- Video
I got a 32 inch 4k monitor, for my old eyes. My base system could not drive the monitor at 4k. The GPU card could.
My other computer cannot drive the 4k monitor at 4k. Like my main computer, I have to put in a 4k video card.
With a laptop, you are stuck with whatever you bought.

#2 - Expansion
2a - Data Storage
- #1 for OS and programs
- #2, for data, 8G HD
- #3, for removable backup, I have a removable drive tray for a 3rd (backup) drive.
On top of this, I can go to an external USB3 HD.

2b - USB
I have run into situations where a device will NOT work on a USB hub, even a powered hub. The device only reliably works plugged into the USB port on the computer. Why, I don't know. In those situations, I NEED enough available USB ports ON the computer.

#3 - Keyboard
I hate the current laptop keyboards.
If I am going to do more than a little typing, I want a full size, full travel keyboard with a 10-key pad.

I view a laptop as a compromise computer, necessary for travel or where space is at a premium.
- I hate the viewing angle to a laptop screen. Hurts my neck and shoulder to use it for anywhere near the length of time I use my desktop.
- I hate the feel of laptop keyboards. A full size keyboard will take one of the USB ports, and the trackball/mouse will take another port.
- I NEED a 10-key pad. If not using a full size keyboard, that will take another USB port.
- All expansion has to be via USB, or an expansion dock IF available.
- My 8GB data drive will have to be external, and take another USB port.
- My external backup drive will take another USB port.
- Video is fixed.
- - The max rez is fixed. I cannot drive a newer external higher rez monitor at full monitor rez. On my desktop, I installed a new video card that could drive the monitor at full rez.
- - The interface is FIXED. When the school switched to HDMI video projectors, the HDMI plug could not connect to my old laptop.

So, desktop or laptop, depends on what YOU need.
You forgot the DVD drive for all the old stuff I still store. ;) Also the memory card jack. By he way, I've been using Logitech's full keyboard with lighted keys, adjustable from off to three stages of brightness. Wonderful at night when the lights are off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back