What road?

Goldenblaze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My name is paul im a 14 year old kid, and I am pretty interested in photography. I have been told that i have that "eye" to be a photographer. Next year I am headed to a technical school, and there are many shops that i am interested in. There is graphic arts, CIT, or maybe some trade like carpentry of HVAC (heating ventilation air conditioning). Should photography be a full time job, or should it be a side job. Some of you have seen my photos that come from a lousy digital camera (Kodak easyshare C330). Do you guys think that I may have the "eye" since you guys are actually photographers and know what you are talking about. But if i were to take graphic arts how would that help me out with photography.. So many questions i have in my head... Feed back negative or positive is appreciated.

I think that the graphic arts are a great background for photography. I have a friend who is a painter, and when he started into photography, he had a huge head-start compared to other people.

You know how people talk about various "rules" and concepts in art? I think that people who have a natural eye just understand some of these without having to learn the specifics. But I also believe that just about anyone can learn develope this eye if they spend time looking at images and understanding what's behind these "rules". There aren't there to follow, but to explain how we see.

Photography can be a full-time job, but it's hard to make money making art. For many photographers, it has to be approached as a craft in order to pay the bills. For me, art involves the investment of emotion and personal views; craft is learning how to make a good image, and then following that process to make more good images. It doesn't require an investment beyond time and skill.

Anyway, I don't think it's important if you have the eye or not right now, just the interest.

"Wise" (ehem...:oops: ) words spoken by who has lived for a couple more years by now but has always kept photography within her pasttime activities as something to enjoy much rather than something to bring home the bacon: doing it professionally might ultimately kill all the fun of it.

Pros here: please take no offense.
I do not mean to say that you as individuals necessarily have lost all the fun, what I mean to say is that it can mean that, since it may well happen that you start out full of enthusiasm when you are still very young and idealistic and optimistic and hopeful, but end taking photos in your tiny home community of The Rabbit Breeders' Convention or other do's of the kind that simply bore you to death but bring you the money.

Careers as artist have been the roughest part ever for all times, as we know from many a painter who was a genius - but a starving one. And careers for National Geographic may look wonderful but are for about as many as who make it to the world's top in sports.

So the daily job of a photographer might end looking all different from taking photos for your own pleasure - photographing whatever you want and how ever you want to - in your pasttime has ever been, with someone there who hires you and tells you exactly what they want, which may go far away from what you may have wanted to do photography-wise.

But - says who has never taken any art classes, classes on photography, on graphic arts or whatever - it might be a good step to take those classes and learn quite a lot about these matters. It will not make you poorer in life in so far as your mind will get richer ... do I express myself?

Paul:

You've a long and interesting life ahead of you. It's fine that at this point photography is interesting and exciting for you. But try very hard to keep your options for a career open as long as you can. The very most important thing in your working life will be to end up doing something that you like to do. The alternative is no bed of roses. If it turns out to be photography, great! If it is something else, that's great, too.

Keep us posted.

Goldenblaze said:
Should photography be a full time job, or should it be a side job.

Photography shouldn't 'be' anything. We each hold a different perspective on what photography is. For some of us, it's just an enjoyable hobby. For some, it's a lifelong dream to be able to achieve the skills & eye that is required to do this on a full-time basis and yes, for others it is their career. I think as you get older and your skill and eye become better, only you know within yourself what direction you should take photography.

Goldenblaze said:
Do you guys think that I may have the "eye" since you guys are actually photographers and know what you are talking about.

I'm a hobby enthusiast and just starting out too. I by no means claim to be on the professional end or even a 'photographer'. With that being said, I took a look at your past postings and the pictures you linked to. Your pictures and the way you speak of them shows a great amount of enthusiasm towards photography, which is definitely good. I think you have potential to become a great photographer.

Goldenblaze said:
But if i were to take graphic arts how would that help me out with photography..

I took graphic arts & photography back in High school 13 years ago. I'm assuming graphic arts has changed dramatically since then. However, I would think the basic concepts has remained the same. Graphic arts has it's creative side and then its technical side, just like photography. As someone else said, there are rules (technical) that you must adhere to in GA that would probably help you in your photography. On the creative side of things, you must visualize the image that is to be made or produced in GA, which would help in expanding your creativity for your photos. One of the hardest things to do, in both mediums, is to start from scratch and develop an image to something great from nothing but once you train your brain to "SEE", you get an endless amount of ideas for your next project or photo. In my opinion, graphic arts could help. Either way, it's a fun class to take, I really enjoyed it. :D

Oh one more thing, My 1st year of graphic arts and actually photography too, dealt with the rules, technical stuff and the teachers visions rather than my own. It was only after that 1st year that I was allowed to expand on my own ideas, visions, concepts......which for me, was what it was all about anyways.

Good luck with whatever you decide for school and have FUN with it!

I understand what all of you have said. I still have a lot of questions, but i can only really state one at the moment because i am in a rush. My highschool if i were to take GA i would be taking it all 4 years, and i cannot change (if you didnt realize that). I understand everything you have said that it should be on my own time as a hobby and for fun. Because being told what to take pictures of would make it boring. It should be the type of art that i want in my photos. I am understanding a lot more than i did before. I belive that in my life i will do it as a part time job because i have loved it for a long time, but just 2 years ago i recived a camera, which made me adore it even more. My only problem now is, graphic arts to help my photography "hobby" or a different shop that could help me out when im older. Because say i do carpenty, all the hours i have done in BP will be on my "record" which means i wont have to start from scratch.. hmm Ill ponder this, but i have to go make a skate video:lol:.

I appreciate what everyone had to say, its nice to know that people are there for you, even when you dont even know them. Thanks a lot! :thumbup:

I had a talk with a girl that goes to taht school today, she somewhat gave me the same advice as you guys. She is actually in GA which helped me understand, they are just basicly printing pictures and such. They do some PS work, but cant i learn that by just taking a class, or just messing around with it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back