What should I do?

Perhaps I should add, that the copyright clause and usage clause are listed on all my agreements irrespective of whether I grant them use or access to images.

In this case, they can view images on-line (low resolution, per smugmug) in a password protected gallery. Download a less than 1mg file is given at $25 per image. Right click or copy protection is denied. (but I know it is possible by talented people!)

I mentioned to my client's husband that an 'uncomfortable' conversation had happened earlier about a request for files. He acknowledged that the individual was indeed a photographer. I did not discuss further.

I think I know where I am now ... thank you all for interesting and supportive feedback. It's difficult to cover all bases without seeming overwhelming to potential clients. I think I am in a good place ...

Sue

Sue,

I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist and I hire professionals. (Just want to put my message in perspective.)

This guy is NOT your customer. You have no contract with him and you owe him NOTHING. Your ONLY obligation is to live up to your contract with your customer. Period. If your customer asks for something that is excluded in the contract, politely explain that you'd be happy to do so but it's necessary to first amend the contract and, by that, I mean a renegotiation of price.

By the way, someone else suggested a CD but with limited ppi on the files. NO, DON'T DO THAT! I guarantee that they'll make large prints and your name will be associated with the crappy quality. Set YOUR price for full-sized files and include that in the contract renegotiation.

To limit the size they can print from the CD, adjust your "DPI" settings, there is no need to provide 300dpi, send them 72dpi, or what ever is equivalent to 4X6in.

Be careful with that - changing the DPI setting on the file doesn't do anything. A 3800 pixel-wide image at 72dpi is still a 3800 pixel-wide image at 10,000dpi.

Change the pixel-dimensions of the image to something reasonable for a slide-show (800x or 1024x probably). The dpi setting is irrelevant.

Blowing off the guy will negatively effect your print sales from the event, because he'll give negative feedback to his relatives. You've already opened the door for him and it will cost you to back pedal and close it. I say, pay the price, tell him to go pound sand, and slam the door. He'll bad mouth you for ever more but probably would have even if you let him bully you into giving him what he wants.

Not sure, but I think if you make the image resolution 1024X768, they won't be able to print anything bigger than 4x6(can someone confirm this?). That way, they don't waste your time with small prints, have pics good enough for face book, and just go to you for the bigger prints. That's how my wedding photog is doing it. I think it's a great way to do it. And forget trying to edit a jpeg that size, don't think it will turn out any good, so they won't be able to edit your pics. When I eventually start my business, that's how I'm going to do it.
An image with pixel dimentions of 1024x768 can be printed as a 10.24 inch by 7.68 inch image at 100 ppi.

Setting a value in the dpi box of the resizing window has no effect when the images are written to a DVD. A client can open that image in an image editor and change the ppi to any value they want and then get prints made.

The only way you can limit the print size is to resize the pixel dimensions. If you want the images limited to 4x6 make the image 400 pixels by 600 pixels. At 100 ppi they can have a nice 4x6 print. If they try to print larger, the individual pixel size will also increase making them more visible, or what is known as a pixelated image.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back