What should I get first?

Luna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
im pretty sure your better off getting more lenses first, espeiclally since your still on the kit lens, which suggests there isnt a need for a body upgrade at the moment

I would suggest getting better glass first. How long have you had the D40? Rather than upgrade to the D80 you might as well save up and then get a D200 or save up a little more and get a D300. Personally I see no benefit in upgrading to a D80 from a D40. Its not sa big enough upgrade to justify.

I can't decide. Really I guess I am just asking if anyone has any strong opinions about what I should get either way or if it really doesn't matter?
YES! :lol: Get lenses first. :)

I have both a D40 and a D80 and honestly believe that the D40 is the better of the two cameras, so forget that idea. For macro, just get any used macro lens and manually focus. Manual focusing is the norm for macro work anyways. You can get used 55-60mm macro lenses for $200-300. For a "zoom" (I take it you mean a telephoto zoom) the 55-200VR is great for around $200-250, or the older non-VR version for $100-150.

Yes, I'd go for lens too.

Also there is heavy speculation that the successor to the D80 will be coming out soon. So if you're aiming for that model, may aswell get the new one.

cheers,
david

I think you're right. I was leaning more toward getting another lens first because I am finding myself being very limited at times when I want to shoot something that is not really close.

As I was typing this message, I saw a rabbit in my yard and had to go outside and chase it around to try to get a good picture. But I could never get close enough, as usual. So far, I haven't encountered any problems with my camera body.

So a lens it is! I just want to make sure that whatever lens I get will work with both my D40 and the future camera body I get (probably a D80).

Just about any lens made by Nikon since 1959 will work with the D80.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back