What the heck is with dead batteries?

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have had a problem with my Canon p&s draining batteries (which some may have read a while back. Now my BRAND NEW Canon Speedlite 430EXII that I bought from Adorama is killing the batteries when I don't use it for a week or so. Pretty much every time I go to use it, the batteries are dead!!!
102.gif

I'm so sick of having to charge them... It's only about 2 months old. I emailed Adorama and they said that it was past the 14 day return and suggested I send it to Canon :er:. Anyone have the same issue?

BTW I tried inverting one of the batteries in the flash thinking it wouldn't make a connection and drain them but it didn't work.

Maybe it's your batteries? Are they old? Are they cheap? Do you keep them together in 'family' groups to be used and charged together, or just use whatever ones you happen to grab? Do you always make sure they're fully charged before using them? Do you use a quick charger or a slow one?

Rechargeable batteries like to be treated well when it comes to those kinds of things. Not doing so will degrade their performance and shorten their useful lifespan.

They are practically brand new also, only a couple months old and I don't shoot very much. They are Duracell rechargeables and are designed to be charged in 15 minutes. I also keep them to myself and no one else uses them.

Now my BRAND NEW Canon Speedlite 430EXII that I bought from Adorama is killing the batteries when I don't use it for a week or so.
What happens if you just let them sit on a shelf for a week or so and then try to use them in the flash, instead of storing them in the flash when it's not being used?

And, for a fair test, do you put the freshly charged batts in your flash, use it, then let it sit for a week or so, and find that the batts are dead? If so, be sure to do the same thing - put the fresh batts in, use it, then take them out and put them on the shelf for a week or so, then pop them back in and see if you get the same result as if you'd left them in the flash.

If it's truly a problem with your flash and not the batteries, Canon will likely fix or replace it within a year of purchase, and you'll just have to pay a couple bucks for shipping. I've dealt with Canon service twice over the years, and they've done a great job to fix me up both times.

Last edited:
They are practically brand new also, only a couple months old and I don't shoot very much. They are Duracell rechargeables and are designed to be charged in 15 minutes. I also keep them to myself and no one else uses them.
What kind of batteries? Alkaline? Lithium? NiMH? NiCAD?

Quick charging has a negative effect on the life of most battery types.

I believe it is the battery type you are using. I have a set of Energizer batteries that came with a charger and noticed how inefficient they were at holding a charge.
So I went out in search of a battery with higher mAh rating. I found some Lenmar's at 2700mAh (NiMH).

They work great and hold a charge for quite a while.

PRO427

I admit it, I use off-the-shelf AA's (the non-techargeable type) with my 430EX and they last quite a while ...

Now my BRAND NEW Canon Speedlite 430EXII that I bought from Adorama is killing the batteries when I don't use it for a week or so.
What happens if you just let them sit on a shelf for a week or so and then try to use them in the flash, instead storing them in the flash that's not being used?

And, for a fair test, do you put the freshly charged batts in your flash, use it, then let it sit for a week or so, and find that the batts are dead? If so, be sure to do the same thing - put the fresh batts in, use it, then take them out and put them on the shelf for a week or so, then pop them back in and see if you get the same result as if you'd left them in the flash.

If it's truly a problem with your flash and not the batteries, Canon will likely fix or replace it within a year of purchase, and you'll just have to pay a couple bucks for shipping. I've dealt with Canon service twice over the years, and they've done a great job to fix me up both times.
Hey, I'll give anything a shot. I work all week and have no time to use it then except weekends so it should be an easy try. I have heard about flash leak which drains the batteries but I doubt it's that.

These are the exact batteries I use (found a pic of them)
http://www.adorama.com/images/large/IBYAA4D.JPG
They charge in 15 minutes. I used the energizer version for a couple years in my point and shoot and they lasted for a longggg time (like 300 shots) until something strange started happening with them in my newest p&s. I know I'm dealing with a flash and not a camera but I thought they should last longer than what they have.

Last edited:
If an image isn't yours the forum admins really frown on posting rather than linking!

" You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated."

Those batteries (most NiMH) won't hold a full charge for more than a couple of days and always charging them in 15 minute cycles will cut their life by about 75%.

Most reactions

Back