What to charge a client wanting to use your images for their websites.

When I signed up to be the marketing photographer for my college, they had a written statement expressing that they "own" all my photos that I take on their time.

I imagine the contract would have to say whom the owner of the photos is.

But I'm not a lawyer so idk. Just throwing my experience out there.
In your case, your job description is 'marketing photographer', which pretty clearly defines the scope of the job as being photography.

The fact it is a signed document that spells out that that they own the image copyrights also satisfies -
. . . if the parties expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them that the work shall be considered a work made for hire. . .

Here's an update for you all, which I again must thank for everyones input.
I resigned from my job last Friday, so not much longer there for me. I asked about the photos, and she nastily told me I have no rights for them, because I did them during work hours.

So then I asked 'Where's your proof I did them during work hours...? The time and date inside my camera has been wrong ever since I've had it.'

And there was silence.

For those wondering, at the time I took those photos for her, I was an apprentice Florist. Taking photos for was definitely not part of my job description.

She's agreed to upload copies of my images to her website with a watermark on them, but she also has access to some of the images without the watermark.

This is going to have to be one of those learning experiences I believe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back