What to do about spot?

O|||||||O said:
State of the art technology, circa 1995. The mirror doesn't move - you shoot through it (and lose 2/3 of a stop because of it) - you do get 10 FPS though, which is pretty common today - not so much 15 years ago.

So the SLT was around way before Sony did it? Go tell that to Argie in the Sony forum. XD

Why not take it to a camera store?
PENA.gif

Instead of starting another thread of basically the same problem, ill continue on this one. Hope thats okay?

Just looked at my latest pictures shot with my D40, and to my surprise i found spots on various places.
I shot a picture for you to view, and see my problem. The thing is that they are visible in the viewfinder, both with the lens on and off. Since they appear on picture they have to be on the sensor, right? But you don't see the sensor when you look through the viewfinder, only the mirror and then through the lens.

Dirt/spots in the top of the picture and in bottom right corner.

How do i clean this, and where do i start?
Thanks!

DSC_6145-1.jpg

How can you see dirt on the sensor in the viewfinder?
smiley_confused_vraagteken.gif

You probably have dust on the focusing screen AND on the sensor.

Wooohooooooooooooo I finally got it off!!

Got most of my dirt off the sensor, but can't get it off the focusing screen.
I guess my options is to let a professional clean the camera, or just live with the dirt in the viewfinder.
Thanks!

There are also idiots who read "blow on the mirror"
I have used my mouth and a hand blower to blow dust off the mirror and focusing screen. People have to be smart enough to hold the camera with the lens mount pointed down so the dust falls out of the mirror box.

I have used my breath to fog the mirror so I could clean it with a lens tissue. I have lifted the main mirror so I could clean the secondary mirror.

How long have you been doing SLR/DLR photography?

O|||||||O said:
State of the art technology, circa 1995. The mirror doesn't move - you shoot through it (and lose 2/3 of a stop because of it) - you do get 10 FPS though, which is pretty common today - not so much 15 years ago.

So the SLT was around way before Sony did it? Go tell that to Argie in the Sony forum. XD
Tell Argie to go back to 1965........Pellicle mirror - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first camera to employ the pellicle mirror as a beam splitter was the Canon Pellix, launched by Canon Camera Company Inc. Japan in 1965...

The first camera to employ the pellicle mirror as a beam splitter was the Canon Pellix, launched by Canon Camera Company Inc. Japan in 1965...
This is not accurate. I was once bidding on a 5x7 color camera which used three pellicles to separate the additive primaries. It was at least from 1940, if not earlier.Also, I am pretty certain that all technicolor motion picture cameras used pellicles.

Most reactions

Back