What to do...

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
well our family has had a bit of bad news recently, my aunt has come down with bone marrow cancer and although it's quite treatable it does mean chemotherapy which I'm sure you all know isn't very nice and is going to afect her life for a long time.

The reason for the posting is that I've never had to deal with someone undergoing chemo before and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. I get the looking after them all as much as I can thing but it's all about knowing how to at the end of the day...

I'm sorry to hear that! I have no idea about chemo but I'll be thinking about you and your aunt!

Visit or phone when you can. Don't be bashful in saying 'I love you.' In other words, just let her know you care. The simple things are the most important.

My thoughts are with you. [My Lady, Joan, and I are caregivers to Joan's mother, who lives with us.]

I recently had a dear friend that was diagnosed with breast cancer that had to go through radiation...it's not the same as chemo though.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone is different, but her main things when it came to her cancer were: She didn't want anyone to feel sorry or pity her, and she didn't want anyone to feel afraid to talk about it around her. She wanted everyone to know didn't mind talking about it, and that she'd rather be open about things.

So...I'd definitely say, if your aunt is like that, and tells people it's ok to talk about it, LISTEN TO HER. Often people are still afraid for some reason, and that will only make her feel worse.

My thoughts are with your aunt...I hope everything goes well.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

I get one week off in three as as they've got three kids I'll probably try and stay with them for most of that week and help take the pressure off a bit, does anyone know of anything I should be looking out for or be aware of? There's a lot of stuff out there on chemo but it's such a broad subject that any useful info seems to have been lost in the details...

There are different ways of using chemo and each brings it's own problems. In our area they are using low dose, longer period chemo which reduces the ill effects.

She will need support through the rough periods of the treatment. Chemo is no fun. I watched my dad go through it twice. The biggest thing my dad hated was being treated like he was sick. He just wanted people to treat him as they would have if he was not going through chemo. Just being there and helping where you can would be a great support.

Thanks guys. I'm just about to head off there now and see how things are going, it's good to have a bit of a heads up before I get there!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back