What to look for in a camera body?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by DRB022, Nov 6, 2009.

1. DRB022

DRB022 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So Nikon makes a bunch of cameras, and every single one from the D5000 through the new D3S has 12 MP. So why buy any of the more expensive ones?

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's much more to photography than megapixels. :D

Off the top of my head:
    Build, frames per second, ISO abilities, features, dedicated buttons, inputs, outputs...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D3s has built in awesomeness.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some have a larger (physical size) sensor....that's a big plus.

One of the easiest ways to figure this out...is to go into a camera store and ask to see two cameras...the top of the line and the entry level DSLR. handle them for a few seconds and the differences should be a little more clear.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How about the fact that a D90 is expected to clonk out after some 50000 photos, where as the D3 are rated to well over 150000.

What you pay is for the refinement not the megapixels. Build quality (metal bodies that'll survive a fall an environmental sealing), more features (faster frame rate, ability to store custom white balance and select exact kelvin values), better designed sensors (yes it's still 12mpx but the system probably produces less noise), larger sensors (full frame 12mpx is quite a different beast to APS-C 12mpx), and many other refinements like that.

6. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D90 is rated at 150,000 shutter actuations, D80 is 100,000 I believe... Actually I'm not sure if any of Nikon's DSLR's are rated as low as 50,000 now that I think about it.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Straight from Nikon's own web page:
    D90 from Nikon

"Durable, high precision shutter: Testing to over 100,000 cycles assures shutter life and accuracy."

They are not guaranteeing 100,000 cycles--they test the shutter design to that many cycles,and apparently, most make it.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25434/D3.html

"Nikon's self-diagnostic shutter system: Tested to 300,000 cycles, this system is a clear indication of advanced engineering and durable construction."

If you get your Nikon information from Garbz, be prepared for bogus, half-wrong information; I would say his estimation that the D3's shutter lasting for well over 150,000 cycles is quite far off when Nikon is specifying the D3 for a duty cycle of 300,000.

8. DRB022

DRB022 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay so the biggest argument I see is the duty cycle. So if you drop $5200 for the D3S Body then it dies after 300,000 pics, wouldn't it make sense to just get 6 D5000 bodies and get about twice the pic number? Yeah I know that picture quality is a little bit better with a D3S or D3 (notice I'm leaving the way-to-stupidly-good D3X out of this argument), but the lens is more important than the body and it seems like unless you actually make a living taking photos you get WAY more bang-for-your-buck with a D5000 or D90. Correct me if I'm wrong...

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like how you personally attacked me for getting that wrong, but said nothing about N0YZE. You're a wealth of information Derrel, but an absolute arse.

So was the point of my post the exact shutter rating, or the fact that the more expensive body has twice the rating as the cheap one? Way to go getting worked up about trivial numbers.

10. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    DRB, in your profile, it says that you have D40 and D5000, why have two similar style bodies?
    So to add to the following
    I'd love to see you grab d5000 and yank a lens on w/o autofocus motor and use AF :thumbup:
    So here's a quick difference, lets say D90, D300, D300s, D700.
    D90 - good at high ISO, doesn't have the PC connection, so you can't connect a radio to it, unless you buy an adapter or via sb800flash.
    D300 - does have the pc sync, is better built but lack the video (for me, video isn't important feature.)
    D300s - its like d90+d300 all in one.
    D700 - Fx, larger sensor thus compating ISO 1600 w/ d90 or d300, d700 will be cleaner.
    There is a reason why these cameras are out there and why folks who shoot for living buy them. For a beginner it might not matter, for someone who has to shoot 100-200 weddings a year, having a reliable body is a must.

Hope that at least partially helps.

11. jdag

jdag TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Steak at TGIFriday's = $11.99
    Steal at Morton's (or Capital Grille, or Smith & Wolensky, etc.) = $50
    They are both the same beef, right?

12. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is a place in NY called Peter Luger Steakhouse. Number of years ago, my ex girlfriend (now Wife :sexywink:) went there. We left with $200 less and didn't enjoy that stake ONE BIT. I see your point but I'll take TGIF or Outback over PeterLuger any day. :lmao: