What two lens to buy?

RichieTang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.notrevuephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm looking for some opinions as to what I should buy. Mind you, I only have a finite amount of money, so of the 3 lenses, I plan on only buying two.

I am purchasing a Sony a6000, which I will be taking with me on backpacking trips, as well as weekend trips across Korea/Japan. I am going to switch to full-time prime lenses, and would like some suggestions on which two I should buy between the 16/20mm, 35mm, and sony 50mm/Sigma 60mm.

I hear the 16/20mm are very soft at the edges, and comes out very...magenta-ish. 35 I hear great things, and same with the 50mm. I also read that the sigma 60mm is a good alternative to the 50mm.

I will be doing 3-4 week lightweight backpacking trips, from landscapes to portraits to orangutans. I like to do a wide variety of things.

I would love some thoughts as to which 2 I should buy.

I'd strongly consider buying a mirrorless camera from a company that can make some decent lenses. Fuji and Olympus IMMEDIATELY spring to mind. Buying a small-format camera that has so-so lenses doesn't make much sense.

I'd strongly consider buying a mirrorless camera from a company that can make some decent lenses. Fuji and Olympus IMMEDIATELY spring to mind. Buying a small-format camera that has so-so lenses doesn't make much sense.
+1 ... this is good advice. I have the Olympus EM1 and the Fuji XP1, XT1, X100S and XE2. I suggest you look also take a hard look at the Panasonic MTF cameras as well. I prefer the Fuji over the Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless cameras. The Fuji's have bigger sensors (APS-C) than the Olympus/Panasonic (MFT), they are both about the same small size and the Fuji has a sensor significantly different than any sensor on the market. To my eye, the Oly/Pany looks very digital-ish ... while the Fuji looks very film-esque. The top of the line Oly/Pany and Fuji are all weather sealed, but they are also the most expensive. If money is tight check out the Fuji X-E2. It is small, compact, full-featured, well made and Fujinon lenses are simply exceptional.

Last edited:
+1 ... this is good advice. I have the Olympus EM1 and the Fuji XP1, XT1, X100S and XP2. I suggest you look also take a hard look at the Panasonic MTF cameras as well. I prefer the Fuji over the Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless cameras. The Fuji's have bigger sensors (APS-C) than the Olympus/Panasonic (MFT), they are both about the same small size and the Fuji has a sensor significantly different than any sensor on the market. To my eye, the Oly/Pany looks very digital-ish ... while the Fuji looks very film-esque. The top of the line Oly/Pany and Fuji are all weather sealed, but they are also the most expensive. If money is tight check out the Fuji X-E2. It is small, compact, full-featured, well made and Fujinon lenses are simply exceptional.

X-E2 is way out of my budget. If anything, It'd be a comparison between x-e1 and sony a6000.

Yesterday I saw X-E1body in Curry's for the clearance price of £149.00 :icon_eek:. It was brand new, and Curry's is a big electronics chain in Britain. I could not believe my eyes and was seriously tempted, even though I do not need it. Came home, checked their website and could not find any. It was probably the last one in their stock :beguiled:

Olympus omd em10 is similar price to that sony

Hi, I'm looking for some opinions as to what I should buy. Mind you, I only have a finite amount of money, so of the 3 lenses, I plan on only buying two.

I am purchasing a Sony a6000, which I will be taking with me on backpacking trips, as well as weekend trips across Korea/Japan. I am going to switch to full-time prime lenses, and would like some suggestions on which two I should buy between the 16/20mm, 35mm, and sony 50mm/Sigma 60mm.

I hear the 16/20mm are very soft at the edges, and comes out very...magenta-ish. 35 I hear great things, and same with the 50mm. I also read that the sigma 60mm is a good alternative to the 50mm.

I will be doing 3-4 week lightweight backpacking trips, from landscapes to portraits to orangutans. I like to do a wide variety of things.

Is there a reason you are wanting to go all primes? If you are I find that 16 mm works well for landscapes on my a77. I have a Sony 50 mm f1.8 that I use around the house and that works great for a lot of portrait like photos.

Is there a reason you are wanting to go all primes? If you are I find that 16 mm works well for landscapes on my a77. I have a Sony 50 mm f1.8 that I use around the house and that works great for a lot of portrait like photos.

I never found myself actually using zoom when I had a zoom lens on. I find prime suits me better. Might as well trade for better quality and/or lower price/small lens for all the zoom I don't use.

One more thing to consider. With mirrorless cameras you can buy adaptors and shoot with 'legacy' glass. I much prefer AF but many photogs enjoy manually focusing. Legacy glass is significantly less than OEM lenses.

An option for the Sony that you seem to have left out is the Sigma 19mm f/2.8. Should be quite a good lens overall.

If you end up choosing the Olympus OM-D E-M10, here are some options:
  • For wide-angle: Olympus 12mm f/2 (expensive), Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
  • Standard: Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Olympus 25mm f/1.8 (own this one and love it), Panasonic 25mm f/1.4
  • Short telephoto: Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (There's also the beautiful Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2, but I guess it's well out of your budget)
14/2.5-25/1.8-45/1.8 seems like a wonderful combination, in my opinion. And they're all pretty affordable.

An option for the Sony that you seem to have left out is the Sigma 19mm f/2.8. Should be quite a good lens overall.

• Standard: Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Olympus 25mm f/1.8 (own this one and love it), Panasonic 25mm f/1.4
  • Short telephoto: Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (There's also the beautiful Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2, but I guess it's well out of your budget)
14/2.5-25/1.8-45/1.8 seems like a wonderful combination, in my opinion. And they're all pretty affordable.

I have ended up deciding to go with the EM10. I also bought the 25mm (as you've suggested) as the starter lens, and yes, will probal be buying the 12mm f/2 along with it once I test out the 25mm. I don't think telephoto will be too much help as of right now for backpacking through the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia

I have ended up deciding to go with the EM10. I also bought the 25mm (as you've suggested) as the starter lens, and yes, will probal be buying the 12mm f/2 along with it once I test out the 25mm. I don't think telephoto will be too much help as of right now for backpacking through the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia
Not a bad choice. The Panasonic/Leica 25mm is stellar lens.

GRAA0025-X2.jpg

PL 25mm

GRAA0482.jpg

PL 25mm

GRAA0017.jpg

PL 25

GRAA0260.jpg

Oly 12mm

GRAA0254.jpg

Oly 12mm

GRAA0257.jpg

Oly 12mm

Ahh very nice pictures. I love the bread shot with the 12mm. I think a 12mm and 25mm will be perfect for backpacking with. Thanks for all the help. I'm fairly sure I made the better decision to go with the EM10 m43 system than the aps-c a6000.

Ahh very nice pictures. I love the bread shot with the 12mm. I think a 12mm and 25mm will be perfect for backpacking with. Thanks for all the help. I'm fairly sure I made the better decision to go with the EM10 m43 system than the aps-c a6000.

Ha ha. Congrats with the new camera. Just be aware that it was not 12 mm and 25 mm that took these shots. It was GaryA who did it :allteeth:

Most reactions

Back